Electronic Ignition

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

molliemog Bernard Owen
Barwell, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
Hi, I am thinking of converting my 1961 MM 1000 to electronic ignition would there be any benefit from this and how easy is it to do.
Thanks, Bernard.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
There are a couple of ways to do the conversion. One is to replace the points in your existing distributor with the retro fit parts. The key here is the existing dist must be in good condition. The other is to get a dist that has the conversion already installed. The rest is easy. I have both Pertronix and Accuspark. Both work well. The other thing is you will need to replace the existing solid core wires with modern resistor/carbon wires. The RFI from the solid core wires will make any electronic ignition do crazy things. Also most conversions require a 3 ohm coil. Chances your original coil is 3 ohm. I'm sure you will hear from the nay sayers about converting. I personally like the electronic conversions for my cars.

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

shoebone Stuart F
tempe, arizona, USA   USA
I agree with Charles, fitted Accuspark and never looked back, had no trouble. I've still got the original solid wires too but no crazy stuff happening

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Morris Minor 1000 Pickup

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links