AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

billybob Avatar
billybob William Dabbs
North Shields, Tyne and Wear, UK   GBR
Hi all,

I have `54 series 2 with a 948 engine that replaced the 803cc.

The problem is my engine is in need of a lot of attention and will be lifting it out to see what needs doing. I am looking at a recon` 1098cc engine that is a good price and would be grateful for advice to see if this will be a simple replacement for the
948 or have got a lot of mods to do.

I think the original gearbox is still in place as I replaced the clutch which looked like it had been there forever.

Any advice would be great.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Easy to change them over. You'll obviously need the clutch etc for the specific engine and the original gearbox will be 'marginal' at best. Go for a complete 1098 gearbox if you can get one.

billybob Avatar
billybob William Dabbs
North Shields, Tyne and Wear, UK   GBR
Thanks Rob, Just what I needed to hear. I may have the chance of a gearbox as well so looks like I will have a sweet running car when all is done.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Roger46 Roger Webb
East Grinstead, West sussex, UK   GBR
The brakes with the original 7in drums are definitely dodgy at best. You should look at a brake upgrade as well if you have not already done so.

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
In defence of 7 inch drums, mine work just fine since I can lock all 4 wheels if I brake sharply. Bigger brakes wouldn't stop the car any quicker but would resist fading better. In defence of bigger brakes, if you drive the car hard or live in a hilly area then an upgrade might be warranted more easily.

As my wife says, "there comes a point when you're better off upgrading to a Nissan Micra". eye rolling smiley

Dorsetdave Dave Walker
St. Leonards, Dorset, UK   GBR
If you want to keep the original wand gear lever John Evans on Hayling Island can modify a 948 or 1098 box.

My 54 convertible has a 948 engine, 1098 box but uses a wand gear lever.

It's done about half a dozen trips to the South of France with no issues. It is also driven by other persons and they found it fine.

At first glance it looks original but has a more robust constitution.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links