Ignition system upgrade

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Glennmg Glenn Gilbert
AUCKLAND, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Does anyone have experience with converting the original ignition distributor to an electronic system like Lumention's Optronic or Magnetronic?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
I have not installed any, but I've read many accounts of others who went back to points or carry points as a back up. Of course there are many who have switched and are still using it. Surely one of those can give you some feedback.

bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, California, USA   USA
The previous owner of my Trav swapped in an electronic system into the old distributor about 1999 and it ran fine when I bought it. There are many YouTube videos on how to do it and it is easy. As an aside, a year ago my distributor starting shorting, so I replaced the whole ignition system with an Accuspark system for just a few bucks more than just the module and the engine runs great. Hope this helps.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
I reckon they are an
expensive non-upgrade

Roger46 Roger Webb
East Grinstead, West sussex, UK   GBR
I have installed more basic systems on other cars, and had very good results, easier starting and smoother running being the ones that first come to mind. The systems I used then (and we are going back more thand 20 years) kept the points but ran a MUCH lower current through them. I have not yet converted the ignition on my van but fully intend to.

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Glenn,

I have used Pertronix and Accuspark with success. I can't comment on the systems you named.

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links