Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Alta OHV conversions for the early sidevalve MM are very rare and spares are even rarer. I started making bits for my own car and have also been making odd bits for other owners. Valve guides, Keepers, Valves, water elbows, head studs and complete rocker covers (non-standard). I'm not doing it as a business, just covering direct costs. If anyone gets stuck for parts, or if anyone has any Alta bits for sale....let me know?

Cheers

Rob, Wales, UK

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
altapipe1.jpg    24.1 KB
altapipe1.jpg

rocker9a.jpg    37.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rocker8.jpg    40.9 KB
altaguide.jpg    23.2 KB
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Nice work, Rob!

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Thanks, Gerard.

I'm enjoying the challenge of working out how to make this stuff through reverse-engineering. Amazing how much time it takes to produce the simplest of items.

If anyone ever needs to make valve guides, Meehanite is a good cast iron material for the job. That single piece of info must have taken me a month to find out.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Slowly getting there. Have finished the rocker cover (Mk2) and the radiator expansion bottle. Chemical engraving of the logo and enamel inlay.

Attachments:
altabottle1.jpg    39 KB
altabottle1.jpg

altarock1.jpg    46.3 KB
JohnV Avatar
JohnV John V
Woodstock, New York, USA   USA
Photos are splendid, Rob! And I bet sooner or later one or more of your parts will be desperately needed by some owner.

Do you know: Is there a list of Alta owners or any other kind of group? I'd love to be in the queue of Minor side-valve owners looking to acquire any stray Alta heads that happen to come up for sale. Though the phrase "hen's teeth" comes to mind ...

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
I only have the one Alta but I have five Hens' Teeth.smiling smiley

There isn't any central database, so far as I know, but quite a few people get in touch about spares for their non-runners. Quite a few really rotten ones that aren't likely to ever run again but people seem to keep hold of the few bits they do have in the hope that they can win the lottery and fund a rebuild.

If anyone know of any more survivors then I'd be grateful if I could be put in touch with the owners. Ideally I need to get some more people interested in clubbing together to fund a new set of valves.Refitted my head this morning after a weld/skim/rebuild.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-08 12:23 PM by usmh3.

Attachments:
DSC02350.jpg    67.1 KB
DSC02350.jpg

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Well, people keep asking her "What the heck do you have under the bonnet of that thing?????"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 01:58 AM by usmh3.

Attachments:
altat.jpg    39.2 KB
altat.jpg

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
A bit more etching work.

Attachments:
woof.jpg    45.7 KB
woof.jpg

pixelsmithusa Avatar
thumbs upsmileys with beer

In reply to # 25291 by usmh3 A bit more etching work.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Well, after 3 years of waiting I finally have a delivery date for the newly cast top water elbows for the Alta (pic in first post). 3 of them are already spoken for and there won't be any more since they've lost the mould parts.

If anyone ever sees an Alta with the later casting that takes a thermostat then I'd be grateful if they could put me in touch with the owner so I can maybe get those cast as well.

Next job is to cast the high compression head (like the Derrington/Klienig) in alloy. Process starts next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-16 10:01 AM by usmh3.

Attachments:
elbows.jpg    35.1 KB
elbows.jpg

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
That was quick. Sold out within a week.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Morris Minor 1000 Van

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links