Exhaust phaaarp

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bloggins Tom Morris
Sechelt, British columbia, Canada   CAN
I'm looking for advice on a replacement exhaust system for the Minor. I know the sensible thing would be to go to a local muffler shop and have them knock something up, especially when I consider the cost of shipping a bespoke system to my fairly remote location. The problem is, I'm determined to restore the quintessential Morris Minor phaaarp on overrun. I was disappointed when I bought my car that it didn't phaaarp properly, a failing I put down to the bodged up existing system. Of course, that assumes that this charmingly distinctive note is due to some peculiarity in the original exhaust system layout. Can anyone offer insight on this important matter or suggest an appropriate course of action?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jkruer Avatar
jkruer Jim Kruer
Harrodsburg, Kentucky, USA   USA
I have a complete exhaust system (pipe and muffler from manifold) in one piece if you could get it put back together, I could cut it and send it to you.

Bloggins Tom Morris
That's very kind of you, Jim, and I will keep it in mind, but I rather suspect that the shipping cost from Kentucky to BC would prove prohibitive.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jeff.ross Jeff Ross
Invercargill, Southland, New Zealand   NZL
Talk to your local muffler shop, if they are any good they should have no problem building the exhaust system to original specs.

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
I'd be surprised if any USA or Canada exhaust shops work with 1.25 inch pipe and suitable silencers these days but I could be wrong. You might try Jim Pocan at British Auto Parts in Marcola, Oregon, 541-933-2880 as he supplies Morris parts.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Wee MG 1963 Avatar
Wee MG 1963 Silver Member Thomas W
Crystal Lake, Flat, boring Midwest, USA   USA
1957 Morris Minor 1000 "Sadie"
1973 MG Midget MkIII "Sunflower"
In reply to # 8384 by Bloggins I'm looking for advice on a replacement exhaust system for the Minor. I know the sensible thing would be to go to a local muffler shop and have them knock something up, especially when I consider the cost of shipping a bespoke system to my fairly remote location. The problem is, I'm determined to restore the quintessential Morris Minor phaaarp on overrun. I was disappointed when I bought my car that it didn't phaaarp properly, a failing I put down to the bodged up existing system. Of course, that assumes that this charmingly distinctive note is due to some peculiarity in the original exhaust system layout. Can anyone offer insight on this important matter or suggest an appropriate course of action?

Tom M,

What you want is a pre-'70 MG Midget back box with no centre box. The Early Midget system (the one that goes straight to the back of the car, without making the 90 degree turn at the back bumper) has a short cylindrical can, I'd say about 14" long at most, and about 5" in diameter, that tucks in beside the fuel tank (on a Midget) just before it exits under the bumper - with no other silencer in the system. I think it even comes with the tailpipe attached, which looks like the right one for the Morrie to me. Pipe diameter is correct too. Gives you a nice Pharp/Blat on decel, and a just a touch of snarl on accel. Sounds lovely and doesn't piss off the neighbors (unless it's 2:00 A.M. and your out in the shed doing some tuning!).

Cheers,

Tom W

old redoubtable alex wilds
columbia sc, USA   USA
1959 Morris Minor Traveller "Old Redoubtable"
I ordered an exhaust system from Bull Motif. Including shipping It was cheaper than having one made up. I know, for I did both, and the shop made one was lousy. You can order one online and get the quote for the total, then actually order it or not.

Alex

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
My Magnette also had a 1.25 exhaust system. When I went to an exhaust shop they were unable to make the flair at the manifold end. The flair is a very important connection. I ended up going another route. If the sound is what you want and the rest of the exhaust system is OK I'd get a muffler for a Sprite or a Midget and have the muffler shop put it in.

BTW I believe the top rail from a chain link fence is 1.25. It's galvanized and thicker steel than exhaust stock. Should last for ever.

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
The original will probably cut in half and shipped in two pieces, will need welding back together. Original muffler was under the front floorboard but I agree it can be moved back behind the axle, mine is back there.

columbia sc, USA   USA
I have two mufflers. Stock in the stock place, and a harley muffler at the tail end. Quiet with sweet tone. Harley mufflers come from ebay. I paid $10 for mine.

larry bailey Avatar
Port Clyde, Maine, USA   USA
Is the "phaaarp" the sound one gets when backing off the excelerator...sort of like a trumpet?

Bloggins Tom Morris
That's what I'm talking about, the iconic little burp on overrun that is so much a part of the Morris Minor personality. I'd like to thank everyone for all their helpful comments.

In reply to # 8549 by larry bailey Is the "phaaarp" the sound one gets when backing off the excelerator...sort of like a trumpet?

rlincoln Ray Costa
Gurnee, Illinois, USA   USA
1963 Morris Mini Traveller "Miss Marple"
If you get a chance, listen to a school bus exhaust. The same physics of sound apply. The muffler is very far forward and the exhaust pipe is long and straight. The bus, of course, has a 3" exhaust pipe, so the pitch of the Morris pipe will be much higher, giving the distinct sound. Unfortunately the 1.25 pipe doesn't let the engine breath very well. I'd like to go to 1.5 inches and a better exhaust manifold, but I'm still in the thinking stages. 1.5" inches should give a nice tone. I put a 1.75 inch exhaust on my MG TD and the sound was very nice. I then put in bigger valves and the sound changed, going slightly down the register toward the bass end and having a bit more staccato rasp to it. I think every part of the exhaust system, from the exhaust valve back, affects the sound.

columbia sc, USA   USA
I put in 2" exhaust, and performance did not improve at all. Worse, actually. Stock 1.25" Works fine - the engineers at BMC knew more about exhaust tuning resonance and extraction for that engine than the bozo at Midas Muffler does.

Wee MG 1963 Avatar
Wee MG 1963 Silver Member Thomas W
Crystal Lake, Flat, boring Midwest, USA   USA
1957 Morris Minor 1000 "Sadie"
1973 MG Midget MkIII "Sunflower"
In reply to # 8574 by old redoubtable I put in 2" exhaust, and performance did not improve at all. Worse, actually. Stock 1.25" Works fine - the engineers at BMC knew more about exhaust tuning resonance and extraction for that engine than the bozo at Midas Muffler does.

Agreed, Alex. Small diameter pipe is actually much better for low end torque (created by the back pressure) and large diameter pipe really only benefits large displacement engines run at generally high RPMs at constant speed.

I had an old-school engineering teacher who explained it to me as the restriction in the pipe being like that wall against which you push to gain momentum. Take away the wall, and you have nothing against which to push....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links