Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kbassilios Avatar
kbassilios Gold Member Kristian Bassilios
Redondo Beach, CA, USA   USA
Just curious to see what others have done when faced with a sagging leaf spring. My Traveller is listing to the right (o/s). Obviously this was known to one of the previous owners and they rigged a fix that caused me no end of aggravation from a loud groaning emanating from the rear of the car. They inserted a slab of rubber between the "frame tube" and the eyelet on the leaf spring (pictures below). I'm sure that this eliminated a much louder and likely more menacing noise than the constant groaning I've been getting and has obviously introduced an artificial limit to how far the spring can sag, but it is certainly not a long-term fix. Extremely short-term, I lubricated the area with silicone lubricant which has quieted it down significantly.

So the question at hand is what have the rest of you done as your springs have begun to sag? Obviously replacement is an option, but I'd like to see if there are any other successful solutions that may save me time and money, especially if the springs are still serviceable. So long as they are not damaged, spacers can be used with coil springs to return proper ride height and of course torsion bars can be trimmed. For a leaf spring the only two options I'm aware of are re-arching and extended shackles. I have not heard any long-term success stories with re-arching and I doubt it is significantly less expensive or labor intensive than new springs. I have not researched to see if there are longer shackles nor do I know if it is really a viable solution. I'm keeping an open mind and welcome any and all feedback anyone has to offer.

Thanks in advance!

-Kristian

Kristian Bassilios
Redondo Beach, CA
1963 MGB Roadster (BRG)
1964 Morris Minor Traveller (OEW)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Shackle 2a.jpg    36.7 KB
Shackle 2a.jpg

Shackle 7a.jpg    42.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Rear Ride Height 3a.jpg    32.9 KB
Rear Ride Height 1a.jpg    37.4 KB
1961minortruck Edward Cornejo
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
There is a place called Atlas Spring Company. They are out in the Colton area (San Bernardino County) They may be able to repair those for you. I have a customer that has a fleet of vans and all suffered from saggy springs. Atlas took care of all of them.

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
First to verify that it is truly the rear springs at fault do this test. Jack up the car in the exact center of the front cross member at the bottom of the grill. This takes away any effect weak or incorrectly set front torsion bars might have on the rear ride level side to side. If the problem still exists then it is likely differences in the rear springs. You could, as a test fix, swap the springs side to side and see it this evens up the car in the rear. I have found that LHD Minors tend to be low in the rear on the driver's side. Could be that they are usually run with only the weight of a driver or it could have something to do with the torque put on the rear axle over decades of use. Ride height tolerances within a half inch are probably acceptable.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

larry bailey Avatar
Port Clyde, Maine, USA   USA
While this is not directly about sagging springs, it is about the spring hangers. My Moggie is a 1967 Traveller and it seems that my forward hanger on the rear springs (are there any springs on the front of the car? You see reference to front and rear hangers.) I am trying to find the proper repair kit but cannot figure out what is the right item. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thank you very much in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-05 03:04 PM by larry bailey.

bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, California, USA   USA
Larry, you left out some words about what is wrong with your front hanger. ESM sells them as well as rear hangers. Of course hangers are for the front and rear attachment points of your rear leaf springs, and they are right and left handed.

ESM page. http://www.morrisminorspares.com/body-inc-panels-trim-c21/panels-c31#page6:infscr1238098

Pic of front hanger below:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-05 05:05 PM by bufferzone.

Attachments:
IMG_0052.JPG    4.2 KB
IMG_0052.JPG

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Some also sell them attached to a section of floor (about a foot square) since the surrounding floor is often compromised as well.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
As mentioned, If the left front torsion bar is out of adjustment it will push the rear of the car down on the right. That is adjustable. I left mine jacked up with the axle hanging for a fortnight a couple of months ago, springs came up about 1.5". I expect them to come back down, but so far they are good.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
May I suggest you trim your front end
before you sort the back end Kristian?

Attachments:
ferd.pdf    1.1 MB

ferd.pdf    129.8 KB
shoebone Stuart F
tempe, arizona, USA   USA
For your consideration,
Rossendale is a spring manufacture company in England, they make good springs that wont settle next week. I considered putting traveller springs on the back of my saloon because I appear to be getting a bit saggy and I occasionally tow a small trailer. I reached out to them 6/17 for a quote and received this .... Shipped to AZ .....

I can now provide a quote as follows:-

1960 Morris Minor Traveller springs - @ £225.00 each (GBP)
Shipping Charges - Estimated between £90.00 - £110.00

WoW .... not inexpensive, I didn't convert to $$ and I didn't purchase
I am a believer that you get what you pay for and maybe some day I will have enough money saved but for now i am looking at spring assisters.
The major morris suppliers do not appear to use Rossendale and the less expensive springs they sell get a bad rap.

0123 Mike D
Here's a solution for you Stuart.

Get a bit of old car spring.
Cut it to size.
Fit the new bit of spring
under the old spring
upside down.

You will of course
need longer U-bolts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 08:57 AM by 0123.

shoebone Stuart F
That's definitely a solution Mike, I also thought about fabricating strong points and attachment points for something like an adjustable coil over shock .... but that's all I did .... thought about it !!

0123 Mike D
Just thinking about it wored me out Stuart smiling smiley

0123 Mike D
Does the nose on your diff point
upwards or downwards please Stuart?

shoebone Stuart F
Think it was relatively level last time I saw it .... without measuring anything !!

0123 Mike D
Best leave it like that then thumbs up

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 2 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links