Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

K100 ASG ANDREW GOLLAND
CAMBORNE, CORNWALL, UK   GBR
1964 Morris Minor "BETTY"
Hi members which would you recommend on replacing my thermostat on the degrees side 82 or 89 ?? thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ahaugland Avatar
ahaugland Silver Member Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
Either an 82 or an 89 degree should work fine in the Morris Minor. The A series engine has been found to be more efficient at a higher temperature (hence the increase of the base thermostat temperature in later Minis, from 1968 or 69 on, but at the same time those Minis had a higher pressure cooling system than the 4 PSI found on the A Series Minors, effectively increasing the boiling temperature of the coolant. The advantage of the lower temperature thermostat is that you have a much larger buffer zone between opening and overheating, but it's very unlikely that you'd overheat the overbuilt cooling system on the Morris Minor unless you had other severe problems with the cooling system. Likewise, the 89 degree thermostat leads to a quicker warm-up and more efficient heater. If you primarily, or only only drive the car in the summer, go with the 82 degree. If you drive it throughout the year, then the 89 would likely be a better choice.

--Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon
USA

bazza Avatar
bazza Barry Lucas
SW Michigan, USA   USA
1958 Morris Minor ~ For Sale ! ~
As noted above, it's pretty hard to overheat the Minor unless there's a big fault with the cooling system. I went with an 82 degree in my car...the next time I think I'll go to an 89.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, Maryland, USA   USA
Quetion regarding my "bubbling teapot" aka 1960 MM 1000.

The car has recently decide to over heat after traveling roughly 6 miles to the point it started to blow oil out oh the side tappit port

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
6 miles? When you say overheat, are you saying the coolant is boiling? Or are you just experiencing oil blowing out the tappet covers? The former indicates a clogged water jacket, most likely closed thermostat or clogged radiator. Determine what parts are hot and cool will help locate the blockage. The later indicates crankcase pressure is building from combustion blow by. Do you have a vent on the rocker cover and where does it go? Do you have a draft tube coming out of the front tappet cover? is it open? Assuming you have a 948 engine.

ahaugland Avatar
ahaugland Silver Member Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
That sounds like what happened to me earlier this week in my MK1 948cc Sprite. It had been a while since I had driven the car, but last time it ran without any problems. Starting it up, I made it only 2 or 3 miles before my dual gauge thermostat rose so high that it started reading oil pressure. I pulled over and shut the car down. The problem almost certainly is a stuck thermostat in my case, as there really isn't anything else that could have caused it. The very quick overheat on a filled, leak-free radiator couldn't really have been much else.

--Alex Haugland

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
If you run modern oil
I suggest you run an 88C thumbs up

If you run a classic oil,
I suggest you run an 82C thumbs up

My reasoning is that as you live
in Cornwall, you may be involved
in a lot of slow traffid, especially
combined with steep climbs sad smiley.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, Maryland, USA   USA
Sorry for not sending a follow up to the overheating issue.

It was the thermostat which took longer to drive to local autozone parts store than to do the actual replacement.
So I learned that the brits have a different (smarter) designed thermostat which when it fails,will lock itself 'open' I rather than close off the coolant flow.

Also I learned that the part if I recall was about 30 pounds (£). For a thermostat???
Some I used the good old USA replacement $4.00 out the door

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Usual pric in the UK for a Morris thermostat is about 3 quid or 5 dollars. I think you've been robbed!eye popping smiley

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Pssst
'E only paid 4 doncs Rob sad smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1949 Morris Minor

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links