AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Y'am a spoil sport y'am Ray smiling smiley

New owners get a monster
ego trip out of slagging off POs winking smiley

In reply to # 26533 by rlincoln Just remember that someday we, too, will be P.O.'s. I try to keep notes, but in the heat of battle I often forget.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Hi,

I finished rewiring the back end of the Traveller, using trailer colour coding. Lots of soldering. Whoever did it previously had used all red domestic cable. Doh! (I once renovated a large house, all wires were grey and in badly corroded steel conduit buried in the plaster.)

SWMBO called me in for lunch as I was screwing the rear platform down. Tomorrow.

John (602)

0123 Mike D
What colour cables did you expect to find when you rewired that house John?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Last time I checked, electrons are colour blind.

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 26589 by 66jalopy
Last time I checked, electrons are colour blind.
winking smiley

w3526602 John Williams
Hi,

Memory going into "Dark Ages" mode, but I think red, blue and black, in rubber sheathing, with round pin plugs (5A and 15A) Or was it red, blue, and green. I'm colour blind anyway, not a problem unless I'm working in a dark cupboard.

My Welsh electrician had to sort out a house that was wired all in grey, with a few wires swapped about, for his test to qualify for French certificate.

The Morris manual said wires (some?) to the rear lamps should be two coloured. I had the choice of waiting for the correct cables to be delivered (plus £3 postage), or dis-embowel a length of 7-core trailer cable that I had lying around.

John (602)

0123 Mike D
I don't know about France;
grey cable has been used for house
wiring since at least the early 1960s.

Trailer cable is adequate.in terms of current
Although I suspect the insulation may not
be as good as that on proper automotive flex.

Trailer cable gets it's wear & tear protection
from the outer layer that you stripped off :-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-14 03:51 AM by 0123.

Attachments:
Ferd.jpg    18.3 KB
Ferd.jpg

0123 Mike D
Braided wire / cable covers are available if the idea appeals 02.

I've seen them in classic car wiring colours, but
can't find them in the time window available to me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vehicle-Parts-Accessories/131090/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=(wiring,harness,cable)+sleeving

Attachments:
Ferd 1.jpg    46.6 KB
Ferd 1.jpg

Ferd.jpg    83.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
w3526602 John Williams
Hi Mike,

I don't know if we are talking at cross purposes. I have attached a picture of the wire that I expect a house in UK to be wired with. One BROWN, one BLUE, one BARE to be covered with GREEN sheathing by the electrician.

I have also attached a picture of 7-core trailer cable. inner cables are 6 @ 32/0.20 (suitable for 16.5amps) and 1 @ 28/0.30 (suitable for 25amps). None of the bulbs in the Traveller have a higher wattage that the trailer cable would be expected to carry. I only needed four colours ... tail, stop, RH indicator, and LH indicator, but I had an extra wire for the number plate lamps, which I will split when I replace the defective number plate lamp. I will be replacing both number plate lamps with LED, but don't tell SWMBO.

Point taken about me removing the rubber sheath from the 7-core. I sheathed the 4+1 wires with spiral binding, so I don't anticipate any problems'

I looked at the braiding, but didn't notice if it comes in double colours. It looked to posh for me anyway. It would be useful if heat shrink sheathing came in different colours, so a colour marker could be shrunk onto each end. Maybe they do? My Austin Champ ) British Army Jeep wiring was colour coded like that. A very complicated vehicle, stuff on their that I couldn't identify, so I stuck a BMC LD 2.2 diesel in it ... got 30mpg.

John (602)

Attachments:
DOMESTIC WIRING 01.jpg    61.7 KB
DOMESTIC WIRING 01.jpg

VEHICLE WIRING TRAILER CABLE 01.jpg    40 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
0123 Mike D
Tidy bit difficult to persuade twin and earth
through the conduits you were talking about winking smiley

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
Call me a perfectionist,or purist, but unfortunately your wiring scheme using trailer color coding will cause any future owner no end of confusion and probably label you the DPO. The proper way would be to order the correct color code wires in the proper gauges from the likes of Rhode Island Wiring (http://www.riwire.com/) and rewire using the correct color and tracer color so that any future owner, or you, can trace the wires using the factory wiring diagram when any issue develops. There are probably multiple suppliers in the UK that provide what Rhode Island Wiring does in the USA but I am sure they would ship to the UK. Just my two cents worth.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

In reply to # 26586 by w3526602 Hi,

I finished rewiring the back end of the Traveller, using trailer colour coding. Lots of soldering. Whoever did it previously had used all red domestic cable. Doh! (I once renovated a large house, all wires were grey and in badly corroded steel conduit buried in the plaster.)

SWMBO called me in for lunch as I was screwing the rear platform down. Tomorrow.

John (602)

0123 Mike D
Would you happen to know the correct gauge (AWG)
for the various wires used on a Minor please John smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-15 02:30 AM by 0123.

TANSTAAFL Avatar
TANSTAAFL Pat Atkinson
Feilding, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
If you want a cheap braided sleeve for your cables. Go to a hardware store and buy some cheap braided rope (it has a white fibre inside) of your preferred colour. Next just skin the braid off the inner in 2-3m lengths. It will expand a little for larger cable runs but get the biggest rope you can for ease of fitting.

KRCaddis Avatar
KRCaddis Gene Johnson
Santa Margarita, CA, USA   USA
1961 Morris Minor Pickup "Morris, Of Course"
Great idea. Nylon melts and will burn in combination with anything flammable (oil, as, maybe wire insulation). After first read I was going to suggest paracord because it's available in many colors and would cover wire up to about 10 ga.
If you use it most paces it would be fine.
I'd bought a new loom for my specific car ('61 LHD LCV Minor) from UK somewhere, all woven nicely and correct lengths and color codes. Even had a extra wires for a tach and flasher! I sleeved it all in various sizes of 50% shrink tube that I found in afamous old school electronics store in Berkeley CA. (Also got dash bulbs there; they have have everything-back to the forties- in stock - radio tubes, etc. University town, probably have OEM parts for their original cyclotron and nuclear reactor, Stanford's linear accelerator, and infamous Fat Man.

After I put most of it on (to protect the thread weave) I realized I'd never get it off without cutting the thread, so I opted to continue without shrinking. Took that all of and decided to preshrink the tubing Better, but stiff; still slides off if I want to later. I bought a variety in light blue because they had it in 1 meter pieces. I used that for some restomod items, like the air horn wiring, Blue goes nicely with the body color.

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
I've had good luck duplicating the cloth woven fabric wiring loom cover using black friction tape available from most hardware stores. It works great for repairing sections of harness where the factory fabric has rotted away. Once installed it looks quite similar to the factory material. For authenticity there are even yellow Lucas stickers to wrap around the harness on the bulkhead just below the voltage regulator box.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links