Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Soldered, comped and wrapped. It would have been much better with new wire. I did it with a butane torch.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    25.5 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    58.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rlincoln Ray Costa
Gurnee, Illinois, USA   USA
1963 Morris Mini Traveller "Miss Marple"
Well, for openers, the top of your vice looks just as gnarled as mine. With spade connectors, I don't use solder. I strip back the insulation until I can insert the wire through the spade connector as far as it needs to go and no further. I then crimp with the proper tool. This works a treat. I use solder to connect wires without spade connectors. Example: The tail light harness on the MG TD connects to the main harness through a bunch of double end bullet connectors back by the aft frame member. At the factory, these were bundled together and covered in several layers of cloth friction tape that hardened over decades to become a lump that was impossible to disassemble. It also didn't fail. When I restored my car, I clipped off the bullets on both sides of the joints on the new harness, tinned both sides,, soldered the ends together for each wire, and used a heat gun to shrink the shrink tubing. I did this, of course, one wire at a time. When i was done, I covered the whole mess in black friction tapes so that it looked just like the original. I hope it lasts as long, but just like the first owner back in 1952, I probably won't be alive when it fails.

Dlebla31 Avatar
Dlebla31 Don Leblanc
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I agree with Philip, mine was almost that bad, but the connections that were bad were the ones at the screw connectors on the OEM switches. A proper crimp will help. Now insulated spades on both new switches with proper crimp.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
What's "Comped" please Phil confused smiley

0123 Mike D
I say old Boy,
"This is a family forum,
we shouldn't be
comparing vices here smiling smiley"

Cheap and crappy crimp
on the connector I used.

Even so, it outlasted the solder thumbs up

52MMaurice Avatar
52MMaurice Marc Darisse
Salem, Massachusetts, The Witch City, USA   USA
1952 Morris Minor "52MMaurice"

Decorated.

Then.

Transported the Newlyweds from The House of Seven Gables in Salem, Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-11 10:39 AM by 52MMaurice.

Dlebla31 Avatar
Dlebla31 Don Leblanc
Well it is Sunny & Warm (HOT!) today.

I took the Morris in for his Summer wash on Tuesday past, Convenience is everything, I had a Doctors' Appointment and right beside his offices is a DIY Coin Car Wash. He was nice and clean for the Car Show on Wednesday. Yesterday I had a few errands to run, and of course it started raining. The wipers worked great! After applying the fix elsewhere in this forum, but the wiper blades need replacing. They are on order from England, should be here sometime next week. As well turning on the lights didn't result in Lucas Smoke, thanks mainly to the new switches and connections. I mounted them with "OFF" up.

After putting on about 20 miles doing the errands, he deserved a further cleaning, so today I put on Polish, Mothers Liquid. Worked great! Now there is some shine to the old paint.

There is another local show tomorrow, we will attend as long as it doesn't rain, it is at a Summer Festival. He will be able to get some much needed Full-Throttle running, at least for a few miles.

Like others on here, my errands resulted in a longer than normal time away, due to strangers coming up and asking - talking - praising him! Two of these nice strangers even new what kind of car he is!!! Surprise-Surprise!

At the show on Wednesday evening, it was the same, lots of nice people complimenting him and quizzical looks and of course Smiles!
All-in-all a good start to the Summer!

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Was at the bank, usual curious people. One guy says "where do you wind it up?" Pointed to center hole in front bumper.

0123 Mike D
'E were just a cheapskate
comic awinding er up John smiling smiley

Morrismick Michael Mulder
Denver, Colorado, USA   USA
I put new rear wheel seals and bearings in. I replaced the window track felt. Than drove it for a hour. This is only my second drive in it since resurrecting it from 30 years of sitting. Plenty left to do. But it's drive able again.

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
Renewed engine number plates on both my Minors which had gone missing or damaged over the decades. Was able to obtain exact correct plates from Clarke Spares & Restorations in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. They provided rapid service and the plates were exactly correct. On one car the domed screws were still present and I was able to cut a slot in them with a Dremel tool and back them out with a screwdriver. On the other car the heads were missing. Tried to drill them out but the material is extremely hard so gave up and affixed the plate with some J B Weld and cut the heads off my new screws and stuck them down with J B Weld for correct appearance. One more factory correct detail accomplished on both cars.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Attachments:
Engine # plate.JPG    48.2 KB
Engine # plate.JPG

tjt77 timothy Trevithick
Grass Valley, California, USA   USA
those 'drive rivets' are made of very hard steel and need a carbide drill bit to get them out..(they will smoke up a cobalt drill bit in seconds) cutting a slot in the head often results in 1/2 the head breaking off when you try to twist it out with screwdriver.. the 'failsafe' approach is to grind 2 sides of the rivet head back enough to be able to grip it firmly with vice grips ..and then unscrew it being sure the vice grips keep hold of it..

0123 Mike D
Some more feathers in
the forum's cap then John thumbs up

Dlebla31 Avatar
Dlebla31 Don Leblanc
Well an exciting last few days with a car show up in Lindsay Ontario, about a 80km drive from Oshawa, zig-zagged my way up, so much construction and roads detoured. so after the 160km round trip a number of things, all good! Yeah!

First, did an oil change, yes 20W50 GTX and Fram filter, grease the trunions and away we go!! The weather was threatening all weekend, but the clouds and rain went way North of my destination. Very uneventful on the Up Trip, 60mph was nice, except when we encountered some other classics en-route to Cobourg, East of us, pissy old American cars doing 40mph!! The guy in the Mustang GT was probably chomping at the bit! So I turned North again, wide open road!! 60mph again!

Got to the park and had a wonderful time. On the trip home a different story, threatening clouds were bearing down all the way. Again stupid drivers who don't know how to use Cruise-Control!! Speed up, slow down, speed up you know the type I am sure, I finally lost it!!! We were on a level to slight downgrade----PEDAL DOWN---- acceleration up tp 75mph!! A smile and goodbye! After I passed him, the cars that were backed up realized it wasn't me!! Just another twit in a Ford Escape!! The backed up cars then all passed him and some even passed me, but with a hearty thumbs up!

Anyway, I have been driving the car more this year and the engine just wasn't quite right, felt like either carb or plugs/points. Today I took the carb apart, cleaned everywhere and lubricated the pivots, cleaned out the damper and replenished the oil with new as well as gave it a bit of a polish on the pot. That was it! Now starting is smoother and no stumble on cold acceleration. BrakeKleen and Air Intake cleaner are the best!
BTW NO oil was consumed! or leaked!

Enjoy the couple of pics:

Attachments:
IMG_0037 (Small).JPG    61.2 KB
IMG_0037 (Small).JPG

IMG_0031 (Small).JPG    54 KB
IMG_0051 (Small).JPG    75.6 KB
66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Look what showed up today

Attachments:
image.jpeg    53.1 KB
image.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links