AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you fix a bodge? Add a new accessory? Sand a panel? Take it out for a drive?
What did YOU do to your Minor today?

Post your update below......

Webmaster, Morris Minor Forum

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
jkruer Avatar
jkruer Jim Kruer
Harrodsburg, Kentucky, USA   USA
Removed the side panels on my Traveller and replaced them with wood

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
GarryW Avatar
GarryW Platinum Member Garry Wilson
Sydney, Australia   AUS
1960 Austin-Healey 3000 "Mariana"
1962 Jaguar Mark 2
Repaired a frozen window left hand rear.

KCrist Avatar
KCrist Konrad Crist
Hardy, VA, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Mr. Gatsby"
1961 Morris Minor "Desmond"
1969 Austin America "Jane"
1972 MG MGB "Mercy Gale"    & more
Replaced the twin SU2 carbs with a single SU4 carb on an Austin America manifold set. Quite an improvement especially at the low and mid power ranges on the engine.

bazza Avatar
bazza Barry Lucas
SW Michigan, USA   USA
1958 Morris Minor ~ For Sale ! ~
oooh, where did you get the manifold?? As for me, I looked at my Minor today...in the garage. Then I looked at the ice and snow outside, and closed the garage and went back in the house.

KCrist Avatar
KCrist Konrad Crist
Hardy, VA, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Mr. Gatsby"
1961 Morris Minor "Desmond"
1969 Austin America "Jane"
1972 MG MGB "Mercy Gale"    & more
Hi Barry,

I got the HS4, manifold and air cleaner through contacts made with very generous and sharing folk who are part of the Austin America community. I own an Austin America, which I am restoring, so I have had to reach out to the AA community for parts and support. Some of the Morris Minor people have strongly recommended the AA manifold and HS4 carb so I wanted to give it a try. It is a noticeable improvement over the twin SU2's which I think are too much for the 1100 motor below about 3500 RPM though maybe some different needles would improve their operation. I also polished and ported the AA manifold to improve its flow - maybe that had some positive impact, but it's hard to tell for sure.

Sorry to hear about the ice and snow, but I guess that is pretty much expected where you are. Stay warm.

Konrad

ian k ian knight
levin, New Zealand   NZL
trial fitted some "led" motor bike indicators ( turn siginals )with a clear lens so as to blend in with the body, into the rear bumper bracket holes and they are a perect fit. as i plan on going with no bumpers i needed a fix for the hole that is left.the lens and the lightbody sandwhich the car body and with a smear of sealent i figure this will be just fine. it also saves me from using the usual add on, that to me just doesnt look right.i will also be using a lo lite front end ( panels ) and will be doing the same up front after having the holes for the bumper made smaller. have had this thought in mind for a while and after seeing the lo lite on the forum and finding some leds that fit ( super cheap autos ), im now as happy as a pig in the you know what.the car is a 62 4 door which i am using as a mock up car for the ideas that i have.im lucky enough to have made friends with a guy that likes old cars and has a good stash of morrie parts,( as well as a 1600 fiat tc and auto and a complete marina diff), which doesnt take much thought as to what path this build might be taking.

1956mga Andy Bounsall
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1954 Morris Minor Series II "Woody"
1956 MG MGA
Still struggling to get the brakes working. Reinstalled the gearbox cover. PO had only two bolts holding it on. Put the passenger seat back in. Waiting on some parts from the UK to fix the wipers.

doxendine Donnie Oxendine
Huntingburg, IN, USA   USA
Took the old girl out for a drive (1967 Coupe). I had a couple of rear fenders soda blasted recently, and did a bit of welding on them before smoothing out the dents.

nev moran 49 lowee neville moran
gold coast, Australia   AUS
1949 Morris Minor "Morry"
hi . sunny & hot this morning . took the 49 for a drive through surfers paradise . then got chased home by a storm threatening hail . its back in the garage all cleaned up ready for next time

jonnywebster Jonny W
Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
1951 Morris Minor "Boris"
bought a 35mm socket for the sump drain nut. 35mm!!! Massive - could wear it as a hat when I'm not needing it. Next up, an oil change (when it stops raining - love the Spring weather!!)...

robedney Robert E
Berkeley, California, USA   USA
Put the gas tank back in over the weekend. It was leaking from several spots on the bottom when I got the car. Stripped all the paint on the bottom/sides up to the seam. Roughed up with 50 grit, wipe-down with acetone, coat of epoxy with fiberglass cloth pieces over the holes, then a full covering of fiberglass with another layer of epoxy. Cleaning up the inside was another matter. I finally make a sort of shaker table and filled the bottom of the tank with an assortment of screws and bolts. This worked quite well (although getting the last few screws out is interesting). Flushed it out with water, then a good soak with Osco. Lastly -- for good measure -- I tossed a small, powerful magnet in the bottom to gather any latent rust.

Then I pulled the heater to go through it. It was disconnected under the hood, but I suspect it's because the valve flange on top of the head broke off and not because the core is bad -- I'll find out soon. I'm having to work on the car outside, so it's easier at times to pull bits of it off and take to my shop on the boat.

People who wander down the levy while I'm working on her consistently stop to tell me how cute she is, sometimes share Morris Minor memories and most often suggest a color (she's faded/crazed white just now). Red is a very popular suggestion. Someone else suggested pokeadots. Hmmmmmmmm.

jonnywebster Jonny W
Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
1951 Morris Minor "Boris"
I'm impressed! That's busy busy work. Shame we don't live closer, have a gas tank in the shed that would have served. Ingenious rust removal system, though, must remember that one!
I'd avoid polka dots for one obvious reason. It'd look ridiculous!!!

The holidays are just around the corner (plus the summer weather) so I'll be able to post more than my entertaining "bought a socket" story. I'm sure you're waiting with baited breath LOL!

robedney Robert E
Berkeley, California, USA   USA
Ah, summer weather "just around the corner" -- and we're just starting up Winter here in California. Of course, I could live somewhere like Minnesota where you really can stick your tongue to a flagpole. A 35mm socket for the sump drain -- really?? The plug on my 1967 is -- if I remember correctly -- something like 5/8". Someone must have come to their senses at some point. My horns aren't working, and I popped off the horn button to have a look. Not much there to look at, as the rotating contact is apparently some sort of side-contact affair below the steering wheel. Now, the socket holding on the steering wheel truly is ginourmous. I'm going to have to measure it to find a socket for it. I'd also love to find one of the older steering wheels with wire spokes (someday -- that's down the list some).

bazza Avatar
bazza Barry Lucas
SW Michigan, USA   USA
1958 Morris Minor ~ For Sale ! ~
Rob- the steering wheel nut is usually not too tight. I use a small chisel and hammer on the points of the nut to remove and retighten it. That's NOT what I did to my Minor today!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links