Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Moggy Celia Christine Davis
Gosport, Hampshire, UK   GBR
[url=]Moggy gearbox noise?[/url]

local garage I took it to thought the noise I told them about was due to the rattle from my number plate, and they were thinking I was a stupid woman complaining about that, but this is the actual noise, and no it wasnt the number plate! what do people think it might be? PS the picture is only there because I had to change an MP4 recording to a video, they are not contemperous

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 08:17 AM by Moggy Celia.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
shoebone Stuart F
tempe, arizona, USA   USA
Video can be deceptive, your in the best position to walk round the car to pinpoint the noise better. Your local garage were very helpful weren't they !!!! I think you need to find the source of the noise a little better or its just a guessing game from the computer. Is this the same noise as in your other thread ?

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
You ned a real mechanic! It is true that sometimes a noise will come from somewhere other than we think. Many times a loose exhaust for example. By the way, it may be better to stay with original thread. After one of us has commented on the thread we get automatic updates from all posts, Making a new thread requires we be looking at all threads, I only do that about once a day but look at all emails within a few minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 11:02 AM by 66jalopy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
In reply to # 26550 by Moggy Celia local garage I took it to thought the noise I told them about was due to the rattle from my number plate, and they were thinking I was a stupid woman complaining about that
If they deal you the stupid woman card,
then play it for all you are worth Christinethumbs up
but this is the actual noise, and no it wasnt the number plate! what do people think it might be? PS the picture is only there because I had to change an MP4 recording to a video, they are not contemperous

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 12:47 PM by 0123.

0123 Mike D

Attachments:
Ferd (1).jpg    24 KB
Ferd (1).jpg

0123 Mike D
Yes, as I said, it only makes a noise in gear and moving, but if I could get someone to drive it up and down the road in front of me I would have a better chance of identifying the problem. Sounds quite good when idling.

Yes, as I said, it only makes a noise in gear and moving, but if I could get someone to drive it up and down the road in front of me I would have a better chance of identifying the problem. Sounds quite good when idling.

0123 Mike D
Have you tried getting it up on axle stands at the back,
and then "Driving it" with the gearbox cover off yet Christine?

You could then use your stethoscope on the gearbox.

I havent, but what a great idea, If I put the front end on the ramps and back end on axle stands, I could have her level and run her engine, I was wishing for a rolling road but this is another option.

0123 Mike D
You can load the box by speeding up
tickover and applying the brakes.

UPDATE ******

Took my car into a proper garage, that works with older cars, (thank you Glebe Garage, Sherfield English) and within minutes he knew what it was, a little test run confirmed that the noise was only present when the alternator was up to speed and under load, ie lights, wipers, the alternator belt needed changing, it was slipping and making a disgusting rattle.

So relieved and so happy, just goes to confirm that its years of experience that make a good mechanic, and the willingness to be curious.

0123 Mike D
Most of the alternator conversions I see
are dead iffy to say the least Christine.

If you would like me to talk you through
uprating your conversion, please ask smiling smiley

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Very good. It's strange how noise travels and we easily mistake where it comes from.

0123 Mike D
Would it be an age related problem Phil?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 2 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links