Clattering noise as I drive

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Moggy Celia Christine Davis
Gosport, Hampshire, UK   GBR
My Celia 1959 948 cc is making a loud clattering noise when in gear. It doesnt make the noise when the clutch is depressed, but a few moments later when in gear and the car has picked up speed, it starts again. Press the clutch in it stops. If I change gear it starts again after a few moments, but not heard it in 1st yet, any ideas what it might be. clattering, bit like a high pitched machine gun noise.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Most likely scenario from your description is you either gave a loose of failing release bearing or loose or broken part in the clutch assembly. It's not terribly uncommon for a clutch spring to fail or have one of the clips in the assembly to come apart. It could also be a very worn bushing in the clutch fork. You should get under the car and look through the inspection cover opposite the fork. Also, you should check how much side to side play there is in the fork itself by wiggling it around. There should be none, so any amount indicates wear.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
You need a new clutch I'm afraid Christine.

This place might be a good place to start looking.
Google found them for us.

I know nothing about them.

http://www.premierclutchfareham.co.uk/index.html

Goof luck thumbs up

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Hi Gerard,

What noises do you get when coasting in neutral, clutch up? Or reversing? Any difference between power on, and power off?

Any difference in frequency between 30mph in top, and 30mph in 3rd?

John (602)

Hi, I wonder if you meant me rather than Gerarld,

I havent tried coasting in neutral, no problems seen in reversing, power on seems to start it making a noise, but it could have started even wiithout powering on, as reducing the power doesnt stop the noise. I havent noticed a difference in frequency between top 2nd 30mph and 3rd at 30, When I change gear the noise stops for a few moments but then comes back. The noise is so worrying that its a case of praying I can get the couple of hundred yards home. it sounds like a coffee grinder trying to grind nuts and bolts.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
The delay in the rattle is quite unique but the loudness and frequency doesn't indicate a light metal issue or a harmonic. A clutch issue would most likely make the noise in any gear or neutral moving or not but you are limited with the amount of torque being transmitted. If you can't duplicate it in neutral whether moving or not would tend to rule out the input to the gearbox. The tendency for the frequency to be the speed dependent rather than gear depending indicates more to the output of the gearbox and down the drive shaft and into the differential. Any luck in establishing what direction the noise is originating. A passenger may help locate it.

w3526602 John Williams
Hi Moggy Celia,

If different gears all give the same noise ... and I'm presuming the noise varies with road speed, I wonder if the problem is in the back axle. OR ... fingers crossed ... the propeller shaft. Cross your fingers on the other hand, it might be that the four nuts and bolts at each end of the shaft are loose/missing.

OT ... I once spent a lot of time looking for a severe misfire on my Land Rover (sorry), which had been fitted with a TD engine (lots of grunt). Misfire came in at 30mph, got worse when I gave it wellie. Couldn't find the cause. Eventually, in desperation, I removed the rear prop-shaft, drove in front-wheel-drive. This cured the misfire. The problem was a severely worn universal joint, combined with the extra power from the engine. Brand new prop-shaft ... £40.

Get a friendly bloke to crawl underneath, give the prop-shaft a good shaking, twisting and lifting. It's not a big job to change the complete shaft if the U/Js are worn, but I don't know the cost of a complete shaft. If he really loves you, he might even fit new U/Js, which are not expensive (in UK), but it's a job I can't be bothered doing.

If it's loose nuts and bolts, ask for a temporary tightening, so you can keep driving but say you want new bolts with Nyloc nuts all round.

Hope that is what's causing your problem.

PS ... ask the knight in a shiny suit to check the rotary back-lash in the prop-shaft. It could be the pinion screwing in, or out, of the crown wheel.

I am hoping it is the UJ's,/prop shaft, as soon as I can I shall get her up on the ramps and have a good look, but I am getting too old too continue doing all the maintenance now, so have arranged to take her to a garage. I will still do all my own servicing, electrics,brakes etc, but anything that involves laying on the trolly and going under the car, with oil dripping in my face, and my hair getting caught in the trolly wheels......skin on fingers getting torn and bleeding, ooh lovely memories.
In our house I am the one who does the jobs like this, hubby is good with the brute force, but can get over enthusiastic and do damage, I will let you all know what it turns out to be.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Best not let 'im read that post about women, dogs, and walnut trees then Christine smiling smiley

w3526602 John Williams
I will still do all my own servicing, electrics,brakes etc, but anything that involves laying on the trolly and going under the car, with oil dripping in my face, and my hair getting caught in the trolly wheels......skin on fingers getting torn and bleeding, ooh lovely memories.

Hi Moggy Celia,

Possibly OT, so treat it as dire warning.

Somebody noticed the driver of an RAF 52-seater coach, lying underneath, cuddling the front axle, trying to kick the front wheel off. He had removed all the wheel nuts, but the wheel would not come off.

It was suggested that it would be easier if he jacked it up first.

John (602)

shoebone Stuart F
tempe, arizona, USA   USA
Possible the exhaust is touching somewhere ..... ?

titanic123 Ken Robinson
ELLAND, West Yorkshire, UK   GBR
supect the clutch does it pull all right, sping and lever clutch my be a sping his rattling about in side the cover used to build these,

I emailed them straight away but they didn't reply

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1951 Morris Cowley

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links