Manifold heater on hs2 carb on 948 engine

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Libjsc John C
Getzville, New york, USA   USA
1958 traveller. Reinstalling hs2 carb onto 948 engine, Manifold heater is attached to the manifold first, next attached to the throttle bracket, then to the carb. The heater needs to be grounded somewhere so the question is when there is a gasket at the first connection , then the second connection then the third connection how is it grounded.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2109.JPG    42.8 KB
IMG_2109.JPG

image.jpg    49 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
The end of the heater coil is exposed on the surface of the heater and protrudes a bit. a 1/4 inch hole needs to be punched in the gasket so the wire can make contact to the manifold. If you clean all of the gaskets off the heater you will recognize the spot.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
In reply to # 26411 by Libjsc 1958 traveller. Reinstalling hs2 carb onto 948 engine, Manifold heater is attached to the manifold first, next attached to the throttle bracket, then to the carb. The heater needs to be grounded somewhere so the question is when there is a gasket at the first connection , then the second connection then the third connection how is it grounded. Does "Through the studs" give you the information you seek please?

How many watts / amps does your heater take please?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
I always wondered why the original BMC gaskets had a hole in them. That answers it! Thanks, Jim.

Mike. The unit doesn't touch the studs on mine and is isolated from the carb by the gasket.

0123 Mike D
Thanks Rob smiling smiley

Jim had answered that bit
so there was little point in going there.

I wasn't sire if John wished to know how
the electricity got from the carb to earth.

How do you connect the heater
to the battery please Rob / John?

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
In the first photo above, there is a bit of green wire hanging to the left bottom of the fuel bowl. It is connected to the thermostat and runs separately from the harness to the ignition switch side of the fuel gauge. The thermostat that I tested closed below freezing

0123 Mike D
What voltage do you get at the ignition coil
when the thernostat is calling please Jim?

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Mike, I didn't measure it, but it most likely is still 12 volts most of the time when it is closed. It's not a very big wire feeding it, just 18AWG as I recall and that is only good for a few amps. The heater is not on very long. I think it is just to fight carb icing that happens under certain condition, especially when it's humid. I've never seen any details on the operation of the heater like telling owners to give it time to warm the intake on cold days. It was intended to be invisible to the driver. That also tells me it's use was for dealing with icing once the vehicle was running for a while, not a starting aid.

0123 Mike D
How about shorting the stat,
and measuring the voltage
at the coil with the points
closed please Jim smiling smiley

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
Don't know exactly how many amps the heater draws but the Otter switch on my Austin America (1300) stuck on many, many decades ago and ran the battery flat. I disconnected it and have never had any running or starting issues since.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

In reply to # 26427 by 0123
In reply to # 26411 by Libjsc 1958 traveller. Reinstalling hs2 carb onto 948 engine, Manifold heater is attached to the manifold first, next attached to the throttle bracket, then to the carb. The heater needs to be grounded somewhere so the question is when there is a gasket at the first connection , then the second connection then the third connection how is it grounded. Does "Through the studs" give you the information you seek please?

How many watts / amps does your heater take please?

0123 Mike D
What did your "Otter" switch do please John?

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
With that light of wire it doesn't draw much more than the side lamps. The head lamps will draw more and of course the starter will.

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
I believe that is the maker of the thermostatic switch that controls the induction heater (the black domed cylinder device). At least a similar switch is used to control the AED on my Jaguar saloon.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

In reply to # 26444 by 0123 What did your "Otter" switch do please John?

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
There should also be a wire direct from the terminal on the dashpot heater to that little clamp that is screwed against the bulbous side of the Otter switch. That is where it gets power supplied from.

No details here of the power rating, presumably because the UK never really needed such heaters????

I wonder if there was always power from the coil to the Otter switch and the heat only came on when the switch cooled down enough to trigger??? Green wire to the switch or is it white, John? Looks green from my PC.

Libjsc John C
Getzville, New york, USA   USA
Wire is green and looks to be original. Can't swear to it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Morris Mini Minor

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links