Seat cushion elastic query

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
The other thing I had done was to move the seat back on the brackets for a couple of inches more legroom,

Hi,

My problem with the seat position is getting my feet into the car, past the A-post. OK, I have the seat fully forward, but that may be because of the sagging cushion putting me in the wrong place. ??? I'm not ignoring advice and comments, just too busy with other priorities to do anything with the seats just yet.

SWMBO complains her seat is too far forward. It doesn't adjust. I'm too busy to even lift the carpet, to see it there are alternative bolt holes.

Slightly OT, I have problems getting my Size-8 steel toe sandals alongside the clutch pedal, but my ordinary shoes are OK.

John (602)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
In reply to # 26491 by w3526602 The other thing I had done was to move the seat back on the brackets for a couple of inches more legroom,

Hi,

My problem with the seat position is getting my feet into the car, past the A-post. OK, I have the seat fully forward, but that may be because of the sagging cushion
Block of wood under the seat cushion putting me in the wrong place. ??? I'm not ignoring advice and comments, just too busy with other priorities to do anything with the seats just yet.

SWMBO complains her seat is too far forward. It doesn't adjust.
Treat your trouble to a driver's seat
I'm too busy to even lift the carpet, to see it there are alternative bolt holes.

Slightly OT, I have problems getting my Size-8 steel toe sandals alongside the clutch pedal, but my ordinary shoes are OK.

John (602)

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
I too took issue with the adjust ability for the Morris seats. It did not adjust far enough forward for the wife 4"11" or far enough back for me 6"1". Unboltion and positioning the seat was a PITA for a driver change and the range was still not enough. I ended up fitting ball bearing seat sliders from a PT Cruiser when I installed the MGB seats. Doing that does require some fabrication since the Morris floor pan is not flat. The end result was well worth the effort. One trade off is the driver seat no longer pivots on the floor for access top the back. The passenger seat is non adjustable and still pivots on the floor for access to the back seat.

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I'm going to shoot this computer that thinks it knows what I want to say!!!!!!!! I cut some ratchet straps,

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
As others have mentioned, you can move the seats, there are, I believe 4, maybe more captive nuts in the floorboard. I just take a power screwdriver with the correct socket and long extension to move the seat, less than 5 minutes a side.

0123 Mike D
smiling smiley

In reply to # 26499 by 66jalopy I'm going to shoot this computer that thinks it knows what I want to say!!!!!!!! I cut some ratchet straps,

0123 Mike D
You must get longer minutes than we get over here Phil.

In reply to # 26500 by 66jalopy As others have mentioned, you can move the seats, there are, I believe 4, maybe more captive nuts in the floorboard. I just take a power screwdriver with the correct socket and long extension to move the seat, less than 5 minutes a side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 07:35 AM by 0123.

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Practice makes perfect. I also do not have carpet, that makes it easier. I did drill extra holes to move drivers seat back a little more.

0123 Mike D
Has anyone tried extending the ratchet section of the seat please smiling smiley

Or fitting a nut and thread adjuster to get more adjustment please confused smiley

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
The stock adjustment is a marginal design. With the rotation of the front seat leg it makes the farthest back position with a lower front of the seat and tips the back of the seat forward, which is really the opposite of what you would want for a taller person who typically has longer legs and longer arms. It's just as bad in the opposite direction for a shorter person. The sloped floor mitigates the movements in the wrong directions in the mid range of the stock adjustment. Extending the adjustment bar would cause more rocking of the seat than the slope of the floor could compensate unless the forward travel would be enough to have the front leg of the seat to be sloping the opposite direction in which case the seat starts to rock in the right direction. I don't think the front leg can be rotated anymore to the front, so new mounting holes in the floor would still be required for taller people.

0123 Mike D
Have you tried it at all please Jim smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 12:58 PM by 0123.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
A good look at the geometry tells you all you need to know and BMC took advantage of it and I have a better respect for it after taking another look. Rotating the front leg through the range that they provide, the seat basically translates up and down the slope. Very little tipping is noticeable until moving into the most rearward position, the seat starts to tip forward. What little rotation of the front leg that is left would tip the seat quite a bit. In the most forward position the rear legs are at the end of travel on the sloped floor and would start going up the ledge that is at the cross member. Having the rear legs part way up that ledge would put extra strain on everything. Getting the legs up onto the flat section would take a lot of travel. Now if you mount the seat using the rear set of holes, then a couple more notches in the adjustment would get the rear legs back up to that ledge with just a bit of forward tipping of the seat which would beneficial for the shorter driver. So if you currently can accommodate all of the drives by changing the seat mounting bolts than adding a position of two for forward adjustment could possibly solve your problem. Of course with the flat floor in the commercial vehicles, the tipping of the seat is quite noticeable as you move the seat through the range.

0123 Mike D
Thanks Jim smiling smiley

Err, has anyone actually tried increasing the
length of adjustment on the driver's seat please?

Roger46 Roger Webb
East Grinstead, West sussex, UK   GBR
I have dumped the straps and fitted the rubber seat base that clips into the frame. Much improvement.

0123 Mike D
Where did you get the rubber seat base from please?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 4 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links