Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Hi,

I've driven about 20 miles in my new 1971 Traveller. Character building.

I'm about 5ft 10in tall with a long back (and short legs). I am struggling to see the bonnet (or hood). Surely that can't be right? With my hands at 10 o'clock (10.00hrs or 22.00hrs) my knuckles are level with my nose. When driving, I am aware of the steel frame of the cushion, and the rail at the top of the squad makes it's presence known to my shoulders.

Question. Do the rubber straps under the cushion deteriorate over the years? They all appear to be present, but perhaps a little lacking in tension.

John (602)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
Yes, this is a known issue after many decades of use. These Pirelli straps are available from the usual suppliers or from Newton Commercial. However, if you are one who likes to do things yourself many upholstery shops (at least in my area) supply bulk strap material in the correct width. You will have to disassemble your seat upholstery, remove the perished straps and using the end clips make up new straps from the bulk material. Getting the length, and thus the tension, just right can be a bit tricky but it can be done.

John F. Quilter
Eugene

Question. Do the rubber straps under the cushion deteriorate over the years? They all appear to be present, but perhaps a little lacking in tension.

John (602)
[/quote]

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
John,

I had a similar issue with my seats. I'm 6'1" 260 lbs. I was able to replace the DOA straps without taking the seat base apart. That only helped a little. The foam in my seats may be too soft for me. Now the seat back is a different issue. I tried several things to keep the top bar from digging into my back. I ended up making slip over yoga mats. That helped a little. In the end I adapted a pair of MGB seats. See my journal. Those are so much better. The down side to using the MGB seats is the rear seat legroom is sacrificed. I feel that is a fair trade off to get a better front seat.

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MoyasMate Avatar
MoyasMate Mervyn V
Woxall, PA, USA   USA
John,

When I purchased my car I had the same problem. The straps were completely rotted and my butt was on the floor. My seat covers were still good, no rips or tears, though a little stretched out from the sagging seat. I completely stripped the seats, repainted the frames and replaced the seat foam and straps as well as the back straps and squab padding, then just put my old covers back on. It wasn’t much work and made a world of difference. I purchased everything from ESM and decided to get the “improved” seat foam that was a bit stiffer. It was a little more money but definitely worth it.

Mervyn

w3526602 John Williams
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments and advice.

It looks like I will be buying some lacky bands, probably from the place in Birmingham (UK). Not sure when, depends on how my pocket money lasts ... first priority is a set of five tyres for my Land Rover ... at £120 each.

John (602)

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
I've seen these bands had elongated so much that they were touching the floor with no load on them. They must actually grow. in certain ambient conditions.

1960 morris ausi Steve knox
Perth, West aust, Australia   AUS
John, I have owned my MM1000 for 54 years and live in a hot sunny climate Perth Australia.
I have had my front seats repaired a number of times because the elastic straps have perished and sagged.
I have just restored my car MM1000 and this time I took a different approach to repairing the seats, I did it myself.
First I bought a front seat upholstery set from a UK supplier.
Next I acquired two front seats out of a Toyota Camry from a vehicle dismantler [wrecker].
I completely removed all the soft seat material from the MM frame & repainted them.
I completely stripped down the Toyota seats just to recover the plastic seat base that all its cushioning was built up from.
I acquired a number of wire coat hangers.
The MM seat frame has a lot if holes drilled in it to allow the original webbing to be attached.
I centered the Toyota plastic seat into the MM seat frame.
I cut the coat hangers into lengths that allowed me to wire the Toyota seat base to the holes already in the MM seat frame.
Carefully tensioning the wires so that the Plastic seat base remained in the middle of the seat frame and that it was tightly tensioned, remembering it was going to take my weight.
I went to a local foam cushion supplier, had pieces of the right density foam cut to my dimensions, it took a few different size and density pieces.
It was then all I had to do was fit and glue the foam and covers to the seat frames.
The seats look great, there is no sag and they are comfortable.
I would never use the webbing straps again.
Hope this helps.
Steve

w3526602 John Williams
<<< In the end I adapted a pair of MGB seats. See my journal. Those are so much better. The down side to using the MGB seats is the rear seat legroom is sacrificed. >>>

Hi Geezer,

Rear legroom is not a serious issue for me. My car of choice would have been a A30/A35 van ... tax free, economic, cheap insurance, small enough to fit in supermarket between two cars both parked on my white line, etc. The Morris appeared in the adverts, only five miles down the road ... everything else was 200 miles away, and we live in the Midlands. Serious driving is taken care of by wife's new Korean hatch. My first love is Land Rovers, but at 15mpg, it makes buying a bag of cement expensive. The Landy is being converted to carry a demountable camper pod.

The Traveller will usually be driven with the rear seats folded down, with our dog hitched to a ring in the middle of the load area.

John (602)

PS ... in UK, car park bays are 2.4 meters wide. That 8ft, in old money.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
How much do you weigh Slim smiling smiley

The car and seat were designed for
people about 5'9 and 10 to 11 stone.
Until someone proves me wrong.

From what I've seen, replacement
straps are no stronger than originals.

I fitted more straps, and some extra foam.

Strapping is off the shelf at upholsters.
The clips transfer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elasticated-webbing-strapping-sofas-chair-repair-UPHOLSTERY-SUPPLIES-/152037225361?var=&hash=item23661ff391:m:mxybnE8B6KMFhQ2YDXkanxg

In reply to # 26302 by w3526602 Hi,

I've driven about 20 miles in my new 1971 Traveller. Character building.

I'm about 5ft 10in tall with a long back (and short legs). I am struggling to see the bonnet (or hood). Surely that can't be right? With my hands at 10 o'clock (10.00hrs or 22.00hrs) my knuckles are level with my nose. When driving, I am aware of the steel frame of the cushion, and the rail at the top of the squad makes it's presence known to my shoulders.

John (602)

w3526602 John Williams
<<< How much do you weigh Slim smiling smiley >>>

Hi Mike,

When I joined the RAF in 1957, I had a 32" chest and weighed 9 stone (57kg?), and would happily stand there, let you punch me in the guts. Now, 60 years later, I weigh over 100kg, don't wear clothes that need measuring, and would rather you kept your hands to yourself. ;-)

I have vague memories from kindergarten, of trying to upholster a stool, using raffia. Perhaps not!

Apart from agility, I also have the problem of living in a town where I don't know way around, and traffic that does not forgive you for not knowing where you are going, and nowhere to park when you get there. Yesterday I found I needed four coach bolts, M8 x 150mm, to finish the bogie that I'm building to move my demountable camper pod around. That will mean a 7 mile journey, and return. Fuel will cost more than the bolts. Craft shops? Upholsterers? I haven't the faintest idea, but I can find out. But I wouldn't be surprised to find that they are too busy to talk to the little man.

I'll get my head under the seat, have a good shufti, go away and think about it. This seems to be a common problem that needs a "one size fits all" solution.

John (602)

0123 Mike D
What's other traffic Slim confused smiley

Come to think of it,
what are shops Slim? confused smiley

My bolt supplier's about 1/2 doz clicks away.
Ditto the my upholstery supplier.
A little town on the coast called ebay.

Stuff comes through my front
door a day or two later.

Kindergarden, there's posh smiling smiley

Seat straps are easier than 37 Type webbing..
just 'ook 'em in the 'oles.
Additional 'ooks to share 'oles with normal 'ooks.

At over 15 stone you need about 60% more straps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 01:02 AM by 0123.

Attachments:
Ferd (1).jpg    15.5 KB
Ferd (1).jpg

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I bought all new foam and straps, I then used some old seat belts and added front to back bottom straps. It worked great.

Lilling Hall Quentin Gallagher
Waterlooville, Hampshire, UK   GBR
I had new straps and foams fitted to my 1971 Traveller by ESM a couple of years ago. It transformed the comfort and is now fine on a four hour journey. The only thing that tends to ache is my right ankle from the pedal angle. The other thing I had done was to move the seat back on the brackets for a couple of inches more legroom, again very worthwhile - I am 5'11" and 10 stone.

Finally I fitted some period style simulated sheepskin seat covers to deal with hot and sticky seats in the summer.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I'm 20 stone, 5'10. With the addition of front tobacco straps my seat doesn't give much at all. I did get the full rebuild kit fro Newton Commercial including covers and foam.

0123 Mike D
What do you mean by tobacco straps please Phil?

In reply to # 26489 by 66jalopy I'm 20 stone, 5'10. With the addition of front tobacco straps my seat doesn't give much at all. I did get the full rebuild kit fro Newton Commercial including covers and foam.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Morris Mini Minor

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links