best fuel for a 948 Minor

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Phillip has reported that he had problems with fresh valve seats and unleaded fuel, which indicates the success most enjoy running unleaded fuel could be due to the lead deposits left over from years past. The internal combustion pioneers surely could not fathom the rpms the later engines would do.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
My money says either,
Duff valve seats.
Badly set tappets
Gossip and rumour.

w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
<<< which indicates the success most enjoy running unleaded fuel could be due to the lead deposits left over from years past. >>>

Hi,

I think that is called "lead memory" ... but there are those walking amongst us who declare that "there ain't no such animal".

What I meant to say earlier was "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Drive it till it breaks, then fix it. If it's broken sufficiently for you to pull the head to sort the valves, that is the time to convert to an unleaded head.

Sorry to keep chuntering on about Land Rovers, but experience of one marque can be taken to another marque. I have frequently used BMC parts and experience on my Land Rovers. Whatever, I dropped a clapped out engine into my 1957 Series One Bitza in1993, intending to replace it in the near future. From then on, I treated in with constant neglect, though occasionally I abused it. I treat my women the same way ;-) The speedo was frequently "off the clock", with scenery emulating the Millenium Falcon going into warp drive (probably only the high 70s), and dragged my boat and trailer, about 2,500kgs over the Welsh mountains. I had to constantly top up the sump with supermarket own-brand oil at £3 a gallon. In 2003, prior to a trip to France, I changed the oil for the first and only time, and removed (but didn't replace) the filter element. I continued in this fashion until 2006ish, when SWMBO persuaded I was too old (at 67), and I sold it. Quickly followed by withdrawal symptoms.

Thirteen years, say about 8,000 to 10,000 miles on an already tired engine. I used nothing but unleaded petrol, never had the head off, never re-set the tappets, never failed to start, and never failed an MOT, though I was once ordered out of the inspection bay, due to dripping oil. MOT aborted, but I wasn't charged. I never washed her either, the bare alloy never got dirty, while SWMBO's SAAB could be "heaving" within a fortnight.

Occasionally I Google "FEU245", just to see how the old girl is getting on. She seems to be still on the road.

I don't expect to abuse my Traveller in this way, but she is pushing her luck, with all the little faults she is chucking at me. She IS going to run on straight-cut unleaded. IF the valves expire, she will be given an unleaded head, but I'm not expecting that to happen.

I'll get my coat.

John (602)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
LRS1. 88. BITZA. FEU254. Screenshot (519).jpg    16.2 KB
LRS1. 88. BITZA. FEU254. Screenshot (519).jpg

NORMAN. GEMINI. 05.JPG    17 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
NORMAN. GEMINI. 02.jpg    29 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
w3526602 John Williams
Hi Marietta,

After all that, I've just re-read your original post.

Ah ... if you have access to 100 octane, use it, subject to price. I might consider the 93 octane, but I'm ignorant about the effects of ethanol. I can't remember what I've read about what is does to rubber thingies inside the carb. Maybe the problems would not occur on your carb. SU?

I have a little Autodata book, published in 1989, when everybody in UK was nervous about lead-free petrol in. Unfortunately, it does not mention vehicles prior to 1976. It says that a 1977-1984 Mini 850cc (same engine as yours?) was intended to run on 2-star. What octane rating would that be? 92? 96? The book says this engine can NOT run on unleaded ... there are no possible adaptations listed.

All the other engines are listed as 4-star. All are listed as being unable to run on unleaded, apart from the 1989 99HE engine, from VIN No.419700, which requires no adjustment to the ignition timing, and can run unleaded continuously.

I will try to copy the relevant pages, and post them here ... even though we've been ignoring the advice for the best part of 20 years.

John (602)

w3526602 John Williams
Hi,

My printer/scanner is too clever for it's own good, but I eventually managed to copy the page out of my lead-free book. I hope it is some use to somebody ... I once fitted a A+ 1.3 into SWMBO's 1965 Midget Mk.2.

John (602)

Attachments:
MORRIS LEAD FREE PETROL.jpg    54.8 KB
MORRIS LEAD FREE PETROL.jpg

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 26474 by w3526602 Hi Marietta,

After all that, I've just re-read your original post.

Ah ... if you have access to 100 octane, use it, subject to price. I might consider the 93 octane, but I'm ignorant about the effects of ethanol
Gives you a terrible hangover
if yer sups too much John smileys with beer
I can't remember what I've read about what is does to rubber thingies inside the carb. Maybe the problems would not occur on your carb. SU?

I have a little Autodata book, published in 1989, when everybody in UK was nervous about lead-free petrol in.
Speak for yourself Matey winking smiley
It were a nice little earner thumbs up
Unfortunately, it does not mention vehicles prior to 1976. It says that a 1977-1984 Mini 850cc (same engine as yours?) was intended to run on 2-star. What octane rating would that be? 92? 96? The book says this engine can NOT run on unleaded ... there are no possible adaptations listed.
Best bin that book smiling smiley

All the other engines are listed as 4-star. All are listed as being unable to run on unleaded, apart from the 1989 99HE engine, from VIN No.419700, which requires no adjustment to the ignition timing, and can run unleaded continuously.

I will try to copy the relevant pages, and post them here ... even though we've been ignoring the advice for the best part of 20 years.

John (602)

0123 Mike D
Probably your best answer is to take a holisitic approach Michael.

Choose a type of petrol you can get wherever you go.
I choose Shell ccompletely ordinary, without anything special added: petrol.
Aka - bog standard petrol.

Get your timing set to suit that petrol.

Then stick to that brand and grade of petrol.

As far as I can see,
any other route will
have you running round
in ever decreasing circles
until you disappear
up your own jacksy sad smiley

373737 Gold Member Michael Rand
Sharon, CT, USA   USA
Thanks for all the info and responses, almost to much to absorb !
One bit pf advice I particularly agree with, that being John [301], and his stating he "treated one with constant neglect and occasional abuse".
That I can live up to !
His comment may have been regarding a Land Rover but I have raced a 1975 Crossle 30F Formula Ford for going on two decades following=g that same line of logic !
Thanks again to all, what a great group of gear head enthusiasts !

0123 Mike D
The engine in John's LR was
a tractor engine that wouldn't
rev beyond about 3800 sad smiley

When you drove one
your got used to being
overtaken by prams winking smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links