1959 Morris minor horn trouble

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pkagto Philip A
Riverhead, New York, USA   USA
I am the new owner of a 59 minor 2 door saloon. Soon as I got it home, every time I touch the steering wheel the horn sounds. Any help would be appreciated.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Something is not right.

Oh, wasn't that helpful? Are you touching any part of the wheel and without any movement in any direction?

The circuit is power goes to the horn, up to the turn signal switch, through a contact spring against the commutator on the steering column, and up a wire in the center of the steering column. The horn push then makes contact to the wire and to ground through the steering column. Take the steering wheel center off by removing the one screw in the side of the hub. The wire coming out of the center of the steering column should be retained in an insulator which has a spring pushing the wire against the horn push. Also under the M that you push should be a cupped washer. Those are the items that are most likely missing or wrongly assembled.

And congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 06:56 PM by emjay.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
The wire up the middle may be frayed.
The push button mechnaism could be faulty.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
On the other hand,
perhaps your car is
coming into season sad smiley

1954series2 Avatar
1954series2 BOBBY FETTES
cersay, cersay, France   FRA
iS IT POSITIVE EARTH ON A 59 ?

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 55 BUT IT WAS WHEN I TURNED THE WHEEL

THE PROBLEM IS OBVIOUSLEY AT THE STEERING WHEELL AND IS A CONNECTION PROBLEM SO TAKE THE HORN OFF WHICH IS 1 SCREW AND CHECK THE WIRES AS A FAULTY FRAYED TOUCHING WIRE IS THE ONLY POSSIBLE PROBLEM I WOULD THINK

I THINK THERE IS UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL ON THE STEERING COLUMN A RUBBER WHICH SEPERATES THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE SO IF YOU HAVE CHECKED AND ALL SEEMS WELL INSIDE THE HORN WHICH IS A EASY JOB CHECK UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL

I SORTED MINE BY FEEING THE PROBLEM TRYING TO IDENTIFY IT? IT IS DEFO A SHORT SOMEWHERE AND POSITIVE EARTHS ARE A PAIN

GOOD LUCK

Pkagto Philip A
Riverhead, New York, USA   USA
I’m sorry that I didn’t respond to the advice given. Wasn’t trying to be rude, I just got caught up trying to repair the problem and ran into another issue with my low beam headlights not working. Turns out both problems were related to grounding issues. I’m sure I’ll be back for more help. Thanks again!

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Good work. You must have good diagnostic thinking or just learned a good lesson. Grounding issues can create very strange symptoms and can easily lead one down the wrong path. Being able to deal with this fairly simple fault can say many hours and frustrations. Next to checking bulbs, fuses and plugs, checking grounds is added to the list of check the simple stuff first.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links