AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dschwartz1957 David Schwartz
Framingham, MA, USA   USA
1950 Morris Minor "Moyshe"
1968 Morris Mini Traveller "The Tardis"
2000 Mazda MX-5
A few weeks ago during a discussion about replacing the front brakes in my 1950 Tourer, someone suggested inspecting the trunions (link pivot). Since the back plates are off this seemed like a good time for a thorough cleaning and inspection. I am also installing a set of rebuilt front dampers, so everything needed to come apart.

Attached are some photos of the upper trunion and related parts. They are worn and do not match the parts listed in the original BMC shop manual part diagram (page K.2). These do not use rubber bushes and instead have a brash bushing. I had a very difficult time removing the damper from the trunion. At a minimum, the seals, rubber band rings and locktab washers need to be replaced. Could a previous owner have installed parts from a different car? These don't match the lower pins and links either, though the lower do use the rubber band sealing rings.

Should I replace the trunions and upper links? If so, which parts should I use? ESM has a full kit which is less expensive than ordering all the individual parts:

Trunnion Kit-Top R/H (Made in UK) WITH UPPER PIVOT PIN & RUBBER BUSHES. SUS137
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/front-suspension-c47/front-suspension-all-models-c71/trunnion-kit-top-r-h-made-in-uk-with-upper-pivot-pin-rubber-bushes-p830544

Trunnion Kit-Top L/H (Made in UK) WITH UPPER PIVOT PIN & RUBBER BUSHES SUS138 - photo appear to be the lower kit
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/front-suspension-c47/front-suspension-all-models-c71/trunnion-kit-top-l-h-made-in-uk-with-upper-pivot-pin-rubber-bushes-p830545

Thanks again,

David Schwartz

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 08:00 PM by dschwartz1957.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170820_181942.jpg    24.1 KB
20170820_181942.jpg

20170820_181214.jpg    17.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20170820_181301.jpg    17.3 KB
20170820_181159.jpg    18.1 KB
pixelsmithusa Avatar
The fulcrum pin does not look correct, and appears at least to be improvised/compromised in some way. I would replace complete upper and lower if it were me. In my mind, a bad sign of a repair like that puts all of it in question. You'll want to make sure that the Acme threads at the top and bottom have not been compromised. Worn or corroded threads at the top or especially the bottom can lead the the trunnion separating from the king pin, leading to collapse of the front end. I've actually seen this happen on a couple occasions.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
In reply to # 26032 by dschwartz1957 A few weeks ago during a discussion about replacing the front brakes in my 1950 Tourer, someone suggested inspecting the trunions (link pivot). Since the back plates are off this seemed like a good time for a thorough cleaning and inspection. I am also installing a set of rebuilt front dampers, so everything needed to come apart.

Attached are some photos of the upper trunion and related parts. They are worn and do not match the parts listed in the original BMC shop manual part diagram (page K.2). These do not use rubber bushes and instead have a brash bushing. I had a very difficult time removing the damper from the trunion. At a minimum, the seals, rubber band rings and locktab washers need to be replaced. Could a previous owner have installed parts from a different car? These don't match the lower pins and links either, though the lower do use the rubber band sealing rings.

Should I replace the trunions and upper links?
Yes smiling smiley
If so, which parts should I use?
ESM's kit unless Gerard or
Steve can give you a better price.

ESM has a full kit which is less expensive than ordering all the individual parts:

Trunnion Kit-Top R/H (Made in UK) WITH UPPER PIVOT PIN & RUBBER BUSHES. SUS137
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/front-suspension-c47/front-suspension-all-models-c71/trunnion-kit-top-r-h-made-in-uk-with-upper-pivot-pin-rubber-bushes-p830544

Trunnion Kit-Top L/H (Made in UK) WITH UPPER PIVOT PIN & RUBBER BUSHES SUS138 - photo appear to be the lower kit
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/front-suspension-c47/front-suspension-all-models-c71/trunnion-kit-top-l-h-made-in-uk-with-upper-pivot-pin-rubber-bushes-p830545

Thanks again,

David Schwartz

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
It appears that you still have the first style of upper link. Replacement was recommended in the workshop manual. If you do update to the rubber design, the bump stop needs to be moved due to the different offset of the top trunnion.

0123 Mike D

Attachments:
Ferd 1.pdf    1.5 MB

Ferd 2.pdf    1.58 MB
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Keep those parts for historical purposes. The bronze top links and plain steel pin are only used on very early cars. Isn't John Voelker (?) on here rebuilding a very early car? He might need them!

I'd buy the kit from ESM and remember to move the bumpstop, as above, and add a 3mm+ shim between the eyebolt and the chassis rail, as per the manual.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 08:44 AM by usmh3.

dschwartz1957 David Schwartz
Framingham, MA, USA   USA
1950 Morris Minor "Moyshe"
1968 Morris Mini Traveller "The Tardis"
2000 Mazda MX-5
If I fit the improved top links and pins, moving the rubber bump stop looks to be straight forward. However, the instructions in the manual for modifying the lower suspension to maintain the correct steering geometry are rather confusing (see page K.11 in the original Workshop Manual). This is beyond simply fitting a 3mm shim washer.

Since the bronze top links are original to the early Minors, I am inclined to use them in the short term. It would be really nice to get my car back on the road before snow and road salt season.

David

0123 Mike D
Good thinking David thumbs up

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
I'll look into it later but was the workshop manual stating that the upper link pin at one time was threaded in the link? It seems that the first attempt to eliminate movement of the pin in the upper link (rattle) was to use a threaded pin to prevent axial movement. If you jump over this modification and go straight to the later design with rubber bushings you don't need to do all the associated mods. But the upper link does widen the tack.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1951 Morris Minor Saloon

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links