Morris Minor 1000 shifter/transmission

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spyke171717 Jim H
Aloha, OR, USA   USA
Yesterday I felt the shifter getting loose and sloppy. Today I can't get it to shift into reverse. Any thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Are the three bolts holding the shifter down tight? If they are see if the hold down plate is OK. You should not be able to lift the shifter up and down very much.

Spyke171717 Jim H
Aloha, OR, USA   USA
Thanks. I just pushed it out of the shop and on jacks. I'll check your ideas and get back. You guys are great.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Pretty sure you problem is on top of gearbox.

Spyke171717 Jim H
Aloha, OR, USA   USA
The 3 hold down bolts are tight. There is no play up and down. When trying to locate reverse all I get is first gear. Do you know what the large bolt is for just below the the entrance to the tranny? I am going to takeof the 3 bolts to see if I see shift forks?

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
What year is your car? Any car newer than 1956 has a remote shifter. There are no forks below the lever, there is linkage that runs forward and down into the shift shafts. It is possible that the linkage has major wear. It can be removed with gearbox in car by removing the large floor pan above the gear box.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
It's important to know what year your car is and if it has the original gearbox or not. There are two different shifters depending on if the gearbox is a smooth case or a rib case. They will seemingly work when interchanged, but not correctly. Fitting an early shifter to a late gearbox would behave as you describe.

You should put your year make and model into your signature/user ID, as you see Phil and I have.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-09 07:06 PM by pixelsmithusa.

Spyke171717 Jim H
Aloha, OR, USA   USA
I'll figure out how to add the year and signature in the future. It's a 1960 100 convertible. It's all original and does have a remote shifter. I'll remove the floor pan and rear extension. Like you, I feel certain it's in this remote section as the gear box has worked and sounded like new. I need to get this going as I have to sell this baby asap. This is the only mechanical issue. I'll let you know how this goes. Thanks again.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
http://minortimes.co.uk/beginners-guide-to-morris-minor-gearboxes/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-10 01:58 AM by 0123.

Attachments:
Ferd 2.jpg    14.4 KB
Ferd 2.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links