Minor 1000 convertible top question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tmann Truman D
Scarbro, WV, USA   USA
I just became a new owner of a 1966 Morris Minor 1000 with a convertible top. (my first on both accounts)
The previous owner had just had a new replacement top installed some months ago.
The driver's side appears to seal fairly well with the door closed, but the passenger side does not.
Haven't driven it in rain yet, but a definite air gap exists between the top of the door and the flap coming down from
the top.
Is there some type of add-on trim to be had to raise the top of the door, and thereby create a seal?
If not, has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks,

Tmann

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
Post some photos of the RH and LH sides of the area you are concerned with and we will see if it is substantially different than normal.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Minor doors fit where they touch.

The hinges can be moved up
and down relative to the A post.

And relative to the door.

Just loosen the holding screws
and move the door up or down,

Keep the door lined up with the
A and B posts as best you can.

Which ain't easy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tmann Truman D
Scarbro, WV, USA   USA
Thanks, John and Mike for the replies.
I haven't had time to take pictures of both doors as of yet, but will do so as soon as possible.
The suggestion of raising the offending door makes sense- if that is the problem it would surely solve it.
Hopefully I'll have opportunity tomorrow to measure one door heigth vs. the other and proceed from there.

Thanks,

Tmann

plumby Phil P
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
IF the doors fit now, I'd say do not disturb the hinges at all !! They are fiendish to realign without paint damage, in my view.

The air gap that the top or "hood" causes above the top of the door can only be improved by adjustments or additions to the vinyl top, or maybe by a more drastic total refit of the top material onto the front stick. The ready-made vinyl tops that you can buy from U.K. seldom fit very well or attain any tautness unless fitted by a skilled motor trimmer.

Phil Plumbe
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Australia

Tmann Truman D
Scarbro, WV, USA   USA
Phil, when looking yesterday I did notice that just a little downward pressure on the cross-over bow that is situated nearest the doors seemed like it lowered the top side piece adequately to solve my problem.
I suppose that in the refit of the new top the support bow may have gotten bent upward a little?
Anyhow, I was finally able to contact the installer of the replacement top, and will take it to him for inspection before I bugger it up.
My primary hobby is rebuilding quite old engines. (usually from around the very early 1900's) One lesson I've managed to learn is that less action on my part until I've consulted the experts usually means a much better end result.
It's only taken me well over 60 years to figure that out.
Patience has never been a sterling quality of mine, but in this case think it may work out best.

Thanks,

Tmann

plumby Phil P
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Yes, my local trimmer made the dark-red top on my 1960 Convertible (pictured on this site) from scratch, and he took a lot of trouble.

He did not like either of the top-frames I offered, and in the end cut my best one (which had even been powder-coated in a nice beige, sort of original) so as to make it fit to his satisfaction. The resulting vinyl top is very taut and nice, with just a small amount of "flap" at speed.

In the end, he told me not to say to anyone that he had made it, as he did not wish (at his advanced age) to tackle another!

Phil Plumbe
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Australia

0123 Mike D
I agree with Phil, if the doors fit now leave them alone.
Especially since if they both fit, you've
probably got the only Minor with doors that fit smiling smiley

On the other hand, I can't work out how you can
lower the hood over the door without lowering over
the rear window, where is, presumably fits adequately.

Please will someone explain how to achieve one without the other?

In reply to # 26001 by plumby IF the doors fit now, I'd say do not disturb the hinges at all !! They are fiendish to realign without paint damage, in my view.

The air gap that the top or "hood" causes above the top of the door can only be improved by adjustments or additions to the vinyl top, or maybe by a more drastic total refit of the top material onto the front stick. The ready-made vinyl tops that you can buy from U.K. seldom fit very well or attain any tautness unless fitted by a skilled motor trimmer.

oklahoma Avatar
oklahoma Grant Mccabe
Hamilton, ontario, canada, Canada   CAN
I've got a 1960 Minor convertible with a mail order top, there is a large gap between the window and the top,it doesn't seem to be a problem and no water seems to collect in the car even when parked in the rain so I have just left it as is for now at least.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
So it's been sixties years since your Minor hit the road. It's not uncommon for things to have happened such as bending of the top frame. The first thing to check is the scissor linkage. They should form the same shape on either side from the front to the second last bow. They form either a straight line or a gentle curve. Then check the bows. They should be relatively flat in the center and have the same outboard curve. Some owners had problems with the bows hitting the door frame when opening, so they either bent them or even cut the ends off. Once you verify that the frame is in an appropriate condition, then you can address any shortages of the covering. Can you snap it at the B post? Photos would help us see what you have.

0123 Mike D
You are a wise man :Grant thumbs up

Simplest solution is often to hang a flap down from the hood.
Then push or pull the flap outside the glass to keep the rain out.smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 Morris Minor 1000 Van

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links