Wiring harness 1958 Morris traveller

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Libjsc John C
Getzville, New york, USA   USA
Recently I asked about recovering my wiring harness. Response was that friction tape is a good choice. Turns out that there are a ton of choices for friction tape. Has anyone had good luck with a particular brand or type of tape. My harness is cleaned up, terminals are checked and I'm ready to recover. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
If you are covering the entire harness, I wouldn't use tape. It would be too stiff and time consuming to apply. Getting it through the hole in the bulkhead may be difficult. The tape on some late model vehicles don't seem to have adhesive so there is some flexibility. A quick internet search yields plastic mesh that slips on and adjusts to different size bundles. You would only have to bind the junctions and melting it would bond the pieces. There is also solid tubing but that is not as flexible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-08 03:29 PM by emjay.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
I've had pretty good luck using friction tape to cover my old but serviceable wiring harnesses. I cover only the exposed parts that are most likely to have the cloth covering deteriorate such as the engine bay. I even put red paint dashes on for factory realism and added the yellow Lucas label. You might need to put a small black wire tie on the end to keep the tape in place.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA.

Attachments:
wiring harness.JPG    89.2 KB
wiring harness.JPG

pvr Avatar
pvr Paris VonRabenau
Reynolds, Georgia, USA   USA
1960 Morris Minor 1000 "EMMA"
When and if I buy a new harness (gasp! I am not an auto electrician! Does the harness's sold come with instructions for connections.
I can connect the dots but have much trouble with relays and resistance loads etc.
My signal actuators are both stuck and probably need a replacement we'll see about that.
Regards

[/quote]Too soon old, too late smart"

Too soon old, too late smart, Dad always said.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
There is absolutely nothing to worry about pulling an old harness out and replacing it with a new one. There are so few wires and connections, everything just falls into place. Confirming the colors from a schematic and all will be fine. The most critical step is ordering the correct harness. Over the years there were some subtle changes and different markets had slight variations, mostly due to how the turn signals were wired. Your Minor should be new enough that you already have push on terminals at the generator and distributor but still have raw wires at the regulator that are tightened under a screw. These components often have been changed over the years so you might have to make some slight modifications to the harness for these connections.

Signal actuators. If you are referring to the slots behind the doors, they are just covers for USA market unless someone added them later. It's easy to confirm. If the metal in the slot is painted metal and a fairly good, tight fit, they are just covers. If the are chrome and have gaps to the edges of the slot, then they are trafficators, which also means your harness has numerous deviations from stock and they need to be ascertained.

pvr Avatar
pvr Paris VonRabenau
Another Gem answer to my question about the wiring harness and trafficators. Sorry to find I may not have trafficators on my car, however, I did see they are still available.
The wiring now is a mess. Unplugged loose ends and I don't know what. I see the alternator is a replacement so I wonder if that changes anything I have to do.
I found this site while searching.
http://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/47-wiring-harness-battery
Thank you, sir,
Paris
In reply to a post by Too soon old, too late smart

pvr Avatar
pvr Paris VonRabenau
Nice Job on the wires John,

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Looking at the seventh one, WRC101EA. That would almost be good for you as it's been modified to have an alternator, but it differs in the tail light area. Your Minor would have a combined stop/turn signal bulb where a 62/63 model uses separate bulbs and that affects the wiring to and from the turn signal switch as well. Perhaps your car was modified here as well or you want to. On the other hand if you are pure stock North American market car except with an alternator, it may be easier to see how other have installed an alternator and modify your new harness accordingly if you can't find one to suit.

pvr Avatar
pvr Paris VonRabenau
Check. Heading that way now.
I have enough info now to get myself into a good fix instead of maybe fixing well.
Back at you L8tr
pvr

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links