Morris Minor Chat

Bright work Series ll vs M1000

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hello Group,

I have a Series ll car that has OK bright work that I am restoring. I also have a donor car that is a M1000 for another project and want to consider the bright work (a little better) on the M1000 for the Series ll. They are both 2 door saloons. So, the question is, the upper door trim, handles, bumpers, grill pieces, (the series ll is a cheese grater front), I know the later series ll's had slat grills but I would like to keep the grate and associated trim. I will assume the head light rims match and of course wind screen trim is a guess.
Look forward to any help that is available.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
The door and window trimmings should be identical, as would be headlight trim. Bumpers will be the same, but not grille fitting, except maybe the top molding only. Windscreen is completely different, as is rear windscreen. Those are specific to Series II. The bonnet is also different. Windscreen wiper bits are different on very early cars too.

In reply to # 25885 by Mr fixit Hello Group,

I have a Series ll car that has OK bright work that I am restoring. I also have a donor car that is a M1000 for another project and want to consider the bright work (a little better) on the M1000 for the Series ll. They are both 2 door saloons. So, the question is, the upper door trim, handles, bumpers, grill pieces, (the series ll is a cheese grater front), I know the later series ll's had slat grills but I would like to keep the grate and associated trim. I will assume the head light rims match and of course wind screen trim is a guess.
Look forward to any help that is available.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-02 02:06 PM by pixelsmithusa.

Gerard,

Thank you for the response. It is good to know that that BMC kept things the same for many years. I knew about the rear window as the size is different as well. The front windscreen I thought maybe the outer trim might be able to be used. I didn't know about the bonnet, what is the most noticeable difference? Is it shape, size, or both + something?
I will be checking things out maybe this winter as I am looking at starting my restoration.

I appreciate your help.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Mainly, its the shape at the cowling that is is different. On a 1000, the rear edge forms a smooth curve; on a Series II, it has a peak. How much the rest is the same or different is a moot point, but I think the front lips and edges along the fenders are the same..

In reply to # 25896 by Mr fixit Gerard,

Thank you for the response. It is good to know that that BMC kept things the same for many years. I knew about the rear window as the size is different as well. The front windscreen I thought maybe the outer trim might be able to be used. I didn't know about the bonnet, what is the most noticeable difference? Is it shape, size, or both + something?
I will be checking things out maybe this winter as I am looking at starting my restoration.

I appreciate your help.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

Gerard

Kleinmond, Western Cape, South Africa   ZAF
Hi there

Although the chrome bumper parts are the same just remember if you have over riders they are in a different position on the cheesegrater models.

Regards
Clive

Hi Clive,

I appreciate the information. On another note, is the rear glass for a series ll still available in the UK anyone? Might need one for a friend.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

pixelsmithusa Avatar
I believe Series II backlights are only available second hand.

Gerard

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links