Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rchizip Avatar
Rchizip Ron C
Easton, Maryland, USA   USA
My 63 Raveler, which I have owned for just shy of a year has for the past week frustrated me almost to the point of loony house occupant. About a week ago I decided to lube and change the oil, since I doubt it has been done since coming from New Zealand 10 yrs ago. I bought all new gaskets, etc, all the jiggly parts that reside on that center bolt. Mind you the car hardly leaked at all. Having had old British cars for about 45 years, I have changed lots of oil successfully. To prepare myself for the original filter system on my Morris I read all the descriptions online and in the various manuals. Feeling pretty confident (cocky I might add), I began the chore, putting all those jigly parts together as instructed. Topped off the oil and started the car to check for the little drips that you sometimes get on an oil change. The car was on a lift and at that point the little woman came into the garage and yelled, "shut it off!" About a quart had poured out. I drained what remained, removed the filter, checked the assembly of the parts, used another new gasket at the top of the bowl, etc. closed it up, added oil, started it, same thing. Repeated the process 2 more times, even once with the original parts. The oil comes pouring out of the bolt hole. The metal washer that holds a new o-ring seems to be not sealing the bolt hole and I cannot figure out why. I have tightened it, backed it off, and don't want to overtighten. The spring seems to have plenty of tension, the metal plate with the concave indentation as well as the metal washer and fiber washer seem in good order. No oil seems to be leaking from the top telling me that the ring seal is properly placed and in good order. Any help is appreciated. Even though I am at the point of ordering a spin on conversion kit, I'd still like to solve this immediate problem.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Everyone will say to switch to a spin on filter. But since you are here, what is the condition of the rubber seal in the bottom of the canister and is there drag on the center bolt? The washer on the bottom is to squish the seal to tighten it around the bolt. That is the seal and the only seal. You need to ensure that it is capable of doing the job. It's either missing, too hard or too small.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Would you tell him what the
proper seal looks like please Jim?

He may have a substitute.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Off hand I don't know where to find an image, but just think about how it works. The seal needs to make a seal against the bolt and the canister and just like any rubber type seal it needs to be squished to ensure a long term seal against pressure. In order for it to do that, the rubber must protrude a bit from the bottom of the canister or the washer that bears on it must be able to pass through the opening of the cavity for the seal. The former is the better design since the bolt/washer can be tightened up to a positive stop and the rubber seal is only subjected to a predetermined amount of compression. Of course the rubber needs some amount of softness. Different designs and manufacturers of filters were used. Some canisters have a tapered cavity for the seal. The best thing to do is inspect what you have to ensure it is capable of sealing, which it doesn't seem to be. It will need to be removed and then measure the bolt and cavity that it sits to identify a good replacement. Another way is to have a washer with an under cut to capture the seal so that when it is compressed, it will squish in against the bolt rather than outward.

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
Also make sure your canister is not indented at the bottom from tightening the center bolt too much over many years of use. Some later canisters had a reinforcing concave washer at this point to preclude this from occurring.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Rchizip Avatar
Rchizip Ron C
Easton, Maryland, USA   USA
Jim, Mike, John - I'm happy to inform you that my address will not be changing to the Maryland Insane Asylum anytime soon (I don't think). Your tips and suggestions confirmed my thought that the center bolt washer (o-ring) on the end of the center bolt was the culprit. The original one must have been so old that it filled the space over time, but the newer ones couldn't compress enough to fill the space. The reason seemed to be that the cup in which the o-ring sat, was too deep and wouldn't allow the rubber to compress enough before the edge of the cup hit the bottom of the case. I couldn't find a thicker o-ring so I stacked two. I know that's not a great solution, but it allowed for enough compression to allow the rubber ring to squash enough to fill all the voids. I ran the engine about 15 minutes and there wasn't a leak anywhere. I just hope the gremlins haven't been at play while I've been writing this message to you. By the way, the adapter kit for a screw-on filter was ordered from Bull Motif this morning. Thanks again for all your encouragement and help. It is always so much appreciated. Hope to meet up with you fellas one day.

Ron

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
That's great. Stacking O-rings is not the best but if they are well confined and can't pop out, it'll get the job done.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Which is the correct seal please Jim smiling smiley

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/search/oil-filter

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links