Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dlebla31 Avatar
Dlebla31 Don Leblanc
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hello all! My Morris has been a very friendly and reliable Daily Driver the last couple of months.

I was wondering about the fitment of Tapered Roller Bearings for the front hubs, I may be wrong but I seem to recall an article about what bearing number is able to fit the original hubs in place of the Ball Bearings.

I did some searching here and came with a couple of mentions of people having the tapered bearings, but no reference to part numbers. Maybe they were talking about with a disc brake conversion?

The bearings in the car are good, just a bit of curiosity and a possible update to the car.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tjr567 Avatar
tjr567 Tim J
Nowra, NSW, Australia   AUS
1949 Morris Minor MM Tourer "Olive"
1957 Morris Minor 1000 "Elsie"
Hi Don,
I have put tapered bearings in the front of mine.
There is a photo of the boxes in my blog
TJR567.Wordpress.Com

Regards
Tim

Dlebla31 Avatar
Dlebla31 Don Leblanc
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Did you use the regular inner seals? That is one nice ride! Very nice colour as well, inside and out.

Thank you for that, now I will try to locate those bearings here locally.

Don, Oshawa Ontario

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BLOWNMM Robert B
Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
1952 Morris Minor MM "None"
I am using tapered rollers on the front of my Minor 1000 swivel pins. They are inner - 30205, outer - 30303. Because the rollers are wider I have used a SKF 13662 seal which is narrower than standard and does not protrude outside the hub.
Bob

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
When I bought my car 5 years ago one side was ball bearing, the other roller. It was just fine. I have since upgraded to a disk brake kit that came with new hubs and roller bearings, it works very well.

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
It is my understanding that when tapered roller bearings are used the distance spacer is left out so the proper preload on the bearings can be obtained. There has been some discussion in the past that the spacer is required to provide extra support strength to the stub axle.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I have heard both ways, My disk brake kit hubs have no provision for the spacer. You can however, with care make a spacer that will work on the tapered bearing. My Mini Cooper S had a matched set that had the spacer, 150lb or torque, if I remember right and they were spaced properly.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
The main function of the spacer is to clamp the inner races of original ball bearings or tapered rollers as opposed to most cars where the inner races are pressed onto the stub axle so the nut is tightened to supply the pre-load on the tapered rollers. The added strength to the stub axle is just a bonus and I doubt BMC was counting on it. To switch to taper rollers and to gain the ability to prevent any looseness in the bearing, the spacer must be sized to provide the correct amount of pre-load, most likely a trial and error procedure. Without the clamping ability of the spacer, the bearings can be installed and will function fine. UNTIL you have a bearing failure at which time the inner race will most likely start to rotate on the stub axle. I had a failure of a ball bearing and then the outer ran spun in the hub which ruined the hub, but is a easier repair than a stub axle.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Morris Minor

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links