Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Here's a project.

John Quilter is that really a A Series engine in there? I would think it would be a B Series. It must be small van. It looks like the manifold is close to the engine and drops down fast.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Morris-Morris-Dormobile/253085466332?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wow John,

And in my own back yard! As if I needed another project. I can't even get to the ones I have but what a great rig it would be to have for the All British Field Meet and some traveling..
Jim, you are correct, it is a B series motor Wikipedia says it is a 1622cc and is a Morris Austin commercial J4 van with the Dormobile top on it.
I may have to keep an eye on this to bid when it gets close to selling.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
I hope that's dirt on that there screen.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D

Attachments:
Ferd.jpg    55.7 KB
Ferd.jpg

Ferd 2.jpg    54.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Ferd 1.jpg    73 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Hi, 0123, Mike D,

Are windscreens available for this vehicle. I've done the usual search for windscreen and windshield for the Austin Morris J4 but no direct hits. With you being on the correct side of the pond for parts, do you have a glass shop that you could recommend who might be able to provide one should I get the project. The rest to get it running are here in the states but the windscreen might be a needle in a haystack.

Anyone can let me know here or in a PM.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

0123 Mike D
Ask here

New Zealand / Australian members of this forum.

http://morriscommercialclub.co.uk/

http://www.jtypevan.com/

http://www.jtypevan.com/morris/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 02:57 AM by 0123.

Attachments:
Ferd 2.jpg    81.3 KB
Ferd 2.jpg

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
I expect to see this at the Portland ABFM swap meet next month unless it sells earlier. Jim, my information is that it has a 1622 cc B series engine although they were available with a 1489cc diesel as well.. Unlike earlier BMC vans this engine is vertical. Some earlier vans, the JU and 250 JU had B series engines tilted over. The B series was used in many different vehicles and there were a number of installation configurations over the years. The last use was in the Sherpa van with 1800cc before they superseded to the more modern O series which was a belt driven single OHC engine with displacement up to 2000cc. That was the intended engine for a still born, updated MGB.

I suspect that windscreens for these J4 are available in the UK as there were many thousands of these vans, pickups and mini buses made for a number of years. It is even POSSIBLE this is the same screen as used in the much later Sherpa vans. Someone can confirm?

And here's another piece of B series history: did you know that in the early 60s International Harvester produced a small van known as Metro Mite and they were powered with the B series engine when first launched. It later superseded to the four cylinder Scout engine. More info on the BMC powered version here;

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/international-harvester/285515-1960-international-metro-mite-am80.html

So much for your daily dose of British car trivia.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

0123 Mike D
I haven't seen one in years John.

I ran a diesel J2 in about 68.
It must have been worthless
if I ran it smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 02:56 PM by 0123.

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
3 x J4 vans in a scrapyard near me in Barry Island, South Wales.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Thanks John, a B Series makes more sense but the view of the engine look so much like a A with the filler cap in the front and the shape of the rocker cover, so I thought it might be a 1098.

0123 Mike D
Defintely a B engine Jim.
It still wouldn't pull the
skin off a rice pudden.

Hence Transits with a
very lively V4 buried 'em.

0123 Mike D
Nice one Rob thumbs up

Are the screens any good?

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Had a quick look. 2 are for resto and the third is a spares ship. Looked like the third had the roof sliced off so the glass was probably inside under the clutter. The ones I could see easily showed alomost identical running gear to the MGA, apart from the steering box.
I asked the owner what was going to happen to the third shell and he said he was making several batches of 'corners' for restorations (He fabricates repair panels for a living) and will be keeping everything until the other 2 are complete. Gavin at Custom Classics, Atlantic Way, Barry Docks. https://www.customclassics.biz/

0123 Mike D
Mechanics are mainly Cambridge / Oxford

"Roof sliced off" sounfs ominous.

Has the glass been splattered
and ruined by angle grinder sparks?

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Anybody here the wining bidder? I thought it had been $900 with multiple bidders but went for less than $400 with just two bidders. Someone got an interesting project with a comfortable buy in price.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morris Minor 1000 Van

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links