1963 Minor 1000

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

280748 Malcolm M
Solihull, West Midlands, UK   GBR
Just bought very nice car which had pro lower body restoration closing £4K. all floor, sills, lower wheel arches, spring mountings, plus lots of other things including quarter lights etc. New carpets. Chassis, wings, arches etc all excellent and only problem seems to be the boot which appears to have been overlooked.
Has some rust around the top of inner wings around the central weld, and at the bottom where it meets the floor.
Not too bad, just some small perforation, but my car repairer wants to remove wings and repair properly which is going to be expensive.
Can anyone say if this is "liveable", if I were to kill the rust, coat in Hammwrite, then cover until I can afford to have it fixed properly?. Maybe if not an MOT failure I could just leave it?.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
May I suggest you check with your MOT tester.

The inner wing is structural.

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Can you get a photo? Easier to chat if we can see which area you are talking about.

Any rust holes within 12 inches of any suspension mount is a no-no. Same with seatbelt mounts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
POMMReg Chris Stevens
Gloucester, Gloucester, UK   GBR
Engine oil & grease?

280748 Malcolm M
Solihull, West Midlands, UK   GBR
Thank you for answering. Photo attached. I've highlighted it by painting on silver Hammerite.
The offside is not nearly so bad but could be if left.
When buying the car I was so impressed with the scope of the general restoration and the £4K cost, that I thought all was ok. Valued at £6k.
I can't think why they did not include this in the work. Rest of the car is sound,and declared as chassis excellent and bodywork very good.
The mot was issued this June.
It was not until I got it home and started probing around under the black-stuff in the boot that I found this.
Maybe it was overlooked, not notice, or not considered important.
I don't know if I could afford a "wings off" job, but maybe instead it could be repaired by welding locally around the affected area. I saw similar patch welds posted online somewhere.
Appreciate your interest and advice.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    45.6 KB
image.jpeg

0123 Mike D
I think that what you have shown is not structural Malcolm thumbs up

As I pounted out before, ask whoever will MOT it.

0123 Mike D
Sadist smiling smiley

In reply to # 25324 by POMMReg Engine oil & grease?

0123 Mike D
Here's the corrosion section of the MOT Manual.

http://www.motuk.com/mot_manual/appendixC.asp

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Morris Minor Tourer Convertible

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links