Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, North Carolina, USA   USA
It is time to clean the fuel tank on my car that has sat for 30+ years. I have checked for leaks, none. I see a filter in the bottom but can't see how to remove / replace it. I am concerned that it could become clogged during the cleaning process. I intend to take it to a radiator shop for cleaning.

The outside will have to be blasted or wire brushed to remove rust then painted with POR-15.

Can anyone help guide me along this path?

Thanks

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
I suggest you leave well alone with your drain plug Bob.
You wouldn't be the first person to tear one out.

Both sand blasting and wire brushing remove metal.
Electrolysis in washing soda solution doesn't.

Owatrol oil soaks though rust to the steel
and then hardens to a varnish like finish.

It can then be painted.

http://owatrol.com/en/all-our-products/7936-owatrol-oil.html

pixelsmithusa Avatar
There's no way the remove or replace the screen without cutting the tank open. Using any of the liner products that you slosh around will clog this screen, but I don't think there's any issue with clogging in the cleaning process. I would not use POR15 to paint it, however. POR15 is not UV stable and needs to be painted over with a top coat. My experiments with POR15 is that rust will redevelop even on clean metal. Better product are Rust Bullet BlackShell or Zero Rust. BlackShell is a high gloss chassis black that is very hard and durable. Zero Rust is available in about 8 colors, including black, but is a matte finish. Neither are UV sensitve, but the Zero Rust can be used as if it were a primer and can be painted over.

In reply to # 25300 by minimarc It is time to clean the fuel tank on my car that has sat for 30+ years. I have checked for leaks, none. I see a filter in the bottom but can't see how to remove / replace it. I am concerned that it could become clogged during the cleaning process. I intend to take it to a radiator shop for cleaning.

The outside will have to be blasted or wire brushed to remove rust then painted with POR-15.

Can anyone help guide me along this path?

Thanks

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Have you tried Owatrol oil please Gerard?

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Nope, never heard of it before, but I'm not a big believer in encapsulating products in applications where phosphoric acid or electrolysis can dissolve ferric oxide completely. I don't even like painting over places where only ferric phosphate remains, unless it's in very tiny pores. My feeling is if it's still under the surface, there's still the opportunity for it to reappear or for paint to flake off. That's the premise of POR15. However, I've done test with POR15 on bare. etched metal, kept the part in a dry location and container, then removed the paint a year later. I found the surfaces under the paint had formed new rust was there was none.

I will just add that in some circles I frequent, gas tanks are cleaned by being being flushed, then filled with water and some pea gravel, then cooked for about an hour or so on a BBQ grille. The mixture is then agitated and emptied. I've never done it myself, but others claim it leaves the inside pristine clean.

In reply to # 25313 by 0123 Have you tried Owatrol oil please Gerard?

Gerard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-07 01:47 PM by pixelsmithusa.

0123 Mike D
I derusted this electrolitically Gerard..
And then coated it with Owatrol Oil.

It had been under fertiliser bags for years.
As you can imagine, it was exceptionally rusty.

It's been standing in a "greenhouse" since then.
The red you can see in the angle iron is paint.

The black in the close up is black iron oxide.
You can see the depth of dome rust pits.

I've used it straight on to rusty panels,
where it's stood the test of time.

I've sold them now, so no pics I'm afraid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-07 02:29 PM by 0123.

Attachments:
DSCF6870.JPG    29.7 KB
DSCF6870.JPG

DSCF6871.JPG    31.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
nudenut Avatar
nudenut Silver Member Reg K
Perth, Perth Western Australia, Australia   AUS
Hi Gerard , from a resident of the Colonies " what is pea gravel " ?

Cheers
Reg
Western Australia

pixelsmithusa Avatar
No Google either?!?!?... grinning smiley

In reply to # 25365 by nudenut Hi Gerard , from a resident of the Colonies " what is pea gravel " ?

Cheers
Reg
Western Australia

Gerard

nudenut Avatar
nudenut Silver Member Reg K
Perth, Perth Western Australia, Australia   AUS
Ha Ha , thanks , we know that as blue metal , comes in various sizes

Cheers

0123 Mike D
It's wot yor Mum warned you about
when you started sniffin' roun' bints Reg sad smiley

In reply to # 25365 by nudenut Hi Gerard , from a resident of the Colonies " what is pea gravel " ?

Cheers
Reg
Western Australia

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morris Minor Tourer Convertible

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links