Car ID assistance

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sjspaul Paul Brown
Port Angeles, WA, USA   USA
Hello, I am new here and have acquired a Minor 1000 that was abandoned.
Can someone tell me from this car ID what the date of manufacture is: M/A2S3L682557
If someone has info. on registering in WA state would be appreciated.
Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jefferson Matt Boisen
Owatonna, Minnesota, USA   USA
1958 Morris Minor 1000 Tourer "Miss Moneypenny, "Penny"
M/A2S3L682557
MA: Morris, A series engine
2S: 2 door saloon
3L: 3 series left hand drive?
682557: Serial number late 50s, early 60s.

bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, California, USA   USA
Mostly right. 3 means 948cc engine, 682557 is probably 1959

Info here:

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/ID/Chassis.htm

Don't know anything about WA DMV though.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jefferson Matt Boisen
Owatonna, Minnesota, USA   USA
1958 Morris Minor 1000 Tourer "Miss Moneypenny, "Penny"
Ah, thanks. My car is an early 1958, with the older numbering system starting with F, so I wasn't sure about the later 50s.

sjspaul Paul Brown
Thanks for the assistance. That link was very helpful and just using the website will help to hone in on the manufacture date.
Thanks again!

bufferzone Avatar
Glad to help. Here is the start page of info. Triplex glass code might also help in dating the car.

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identification.htm

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
It will be interesting to learn what steps and costs you will encounter in this process of basically re-titling a vehicle. The subject comes up from time to time on other forums like AACA and many express negative views that it should never be done under no circumstances. Although the conversations are usually about applying a VIN that one has a title to another vehicle to avoid the process you are attempting. So if you encounter few obstacles, it would be a better alternative for resurrecting undocumented vehicles and Washington state may have started a new industry for themselves. Even businesses in the states that created a paper trail with just a bill of sale are disappearing because the states have tighten the rules. In your case you are no doubt working with a valid and complete vehicle, but I think there should also be a process for collectors that re-create a particular vehicle or even a bastard from over the years collected parts. The important thing would be the title would clearly state that the vehicle is not what it may appear along the same lines as a reconstructed or salvage title.

For a fee the BHMT will send you a birth certificate for you vehicle. I understand they have different packages wit increasingly more information.

sjspaul Paul Brown
Yes, it will be interesting. I will post my trials and tribulations. Maybe WA state will surprise.
What does BHMT stand for? I am a real newbie.
Thanks for your input.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
This will get you there. https://britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates

British Motor Heritage Trust/

Hi Paul,

I'm in Oregon and had a complete car with all ID tags and no title. I was able to get it re-registered as a lost title car. The one thing that was very frustrating in the process was you have to take the vehicle to the DMV for them to see it no matter what condition it is in. I had to drag it on a rented trailer and spend a bit of time at the DMV in line for them to figure out everything, but in the end I did get a title.

Now, my new find is a CAL pink slip car not signed over to anyone, and I'm not sure how that is going to go, but I will see. Have to borrow a trailer from my friend and take a VAC day to sit at the DMV. Well see.

Just one persons experience. http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/replacing-a-lost-title.php Seems very similar to Oregon's web site.
TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, North Carolina, USA   USA
I too had to get a new title in North Carolina for my 1960 Tourer that I had purchased on a Bill of Sale. I also used BMHT to send me the date of manufacture via email for approximately $10.00. I also kept the phone logs from me to the seller, he had stopped returning my calls, to document my efforts. The NC DMV officer came to my house and inspected the car. I had various books to document the VIN plate being held on by screws, I had not touched them!

I had to post a $100.00 bond through a local insurance company. It is owned by an avid street rod enthusiast so he new to ins-and-outs of how the system works.

Only after all of this did I start my restoration.

Good Luck on yours!

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
I have a Minor four door sedan built 12-9-1959 and it carries VIN 783123. So your car is likely built in 1958. Year models on registrations are not definitive as in the USA some cars were updated in year model depending on how long they remained in distributor and dealer inventory before being retailed.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

In reply to # 25231 by sjspaul Hello, I am new here and have acquired a Minor 1000 that was abandoned.
Can someone tell me from this car ID what the date of manufacture is: M/A2S3L682557
If someone has info. on registering in WA state would be appreciated.
Thanks!

POMMReg Chris Stevens
Gloucester, Gloucester, UK   GBR
Check the wiper motor bkt, if square it's pre- c3/59, with a front fold, post c3/59.

Change due to switch from oil bath air filter to paper.

bufferzone Avatar
Here is another site that indicates the car was built in late 1958.

http://theminorsite.co.uk/production-data

You should also check the engine bay bulkhead to find 682557 stamped into the BH near where the bonnet/hood release rod comes through, just to be sure it is the same as on the vin plate.

Attachments:
image.jpg    32.6 KB
image.jpg

nudenut Avatar
nudenut Silver Member Reg K
Perth, Perth Western Australia, Australia   AUS
Does anybody know if this information is available for Nuffield Australia manufactured Morris Minor 1000 please ?

Cheers

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links