AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Did you declare the mod Rob?

I wanted to put a Transit petrol in a
diesel transit, which I see as like for like.

The companies I asked would only
cover it as a modified motor..

Bootlace style crimps were around
before Minors came on stream.

This sort of thing : -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-10 07:52 AM by 0123.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Ferd 2.jpg    12.1 KB
Ferd 2.jpg

tjr567 Avatar
tjr567 Tim J
Nowra, NSW, Australia   AUS
1949 Morris Minor MM Tourer "Olive"
1957 Morris Minor 1000 "Elsie"
Hi David,
What did you end up doing? I am going through exactly the same thing on a 49 Tourer ...exactly to the point that one of my front drums has two pieces broken out of the rim also.
Did you use a puller to get the drums off in the first instances?. Mine don't seem to want to release with some mild tapping so I am thinking I will need a puller to get them off.

Cheers
Tim

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Tim. Have you tried putting the wheel back on and then getting a bit more aggressive on the rubber part to shift the hub? Drums are soooo easy to damage but wheels can be replaced more easily. If you can undo the front hub nut by a couple of turns and re-lock it you might be able to loosen it off by driving the car in circles until the bearings pop loose on the suspension arm.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dschwartz1957 David Schwartz
Framingham, MA, USA   USA
1950 Morris Minor "Moyshe"
1968 Morris Mini Traveller "The Tardis"
2000 Mazda MX-5
Hi Tim,

A mechanic friend used a large wheel puller with 3 legs that bolt directly to mounting holes in the hub. There is a center leg that lined up with the axle.

I spent several weeks searching for replacement early wheel cylinders. The originals were in terrible condition and not worth rebuilding.

I finally bought a pair of the later backing plates and the full upgrade kit from ESM. Last weekend I stripped the old paint and rust and will repaint later this week. I may use POR15 which is nasty to work with but is impervious to chipping. I am also doing the rear brakes and rebuilt dampers all around. Then there are the worn trunnions.

A typical case of "as long as it is apart I may as well fix ..."

Feel free to contact me directly.

David

tjr567 Avatar
tjr567 Tim J
Hi David,
Finished off the job today. I managed to find a puller at a small tool shop in my town that did the job perfectly. The drums pulled off easily with the right tool!
So basically I ended up doing the same as you. The wheel cylinders were beyond salvage so I got hold of the two later 7" backing plates and a complete rebuild kit.
They all went today. Brakes are so much better. In effect I think the left hand rear was the only fully functional brake on the car.
I put the old damage drum back on at this stage. I have a contact for another one but will take a while before I can pick it up.
Thanks for the reply.
Now, next job it to work out the electrical problem on the 1000.

Cheers
Tim

JohnV Avatar
JohnV John V
Woodstock, New York, USA   USA
Tim J + David

A bit of background on early Minor front axle hubs—just because I'm having this discussion in a different context (missing axle caps for the early style) with another '49 owner.

From start of production in Sep 1948 (# 501 RHD), Series MM Minors used one type of hub that can distinguished by brake drums that have a casting number starting "101" and only a single adjuster hole.

In Dec 1949 (# 31790 RHD / 12338 LHD), they switched to a new type of hub and stub shaft with a larger outer wheel bearing, a different cap over the hub, and a modified steering lever. Brake drums start with "138" and have two adjuster holes.

David: Your 1950 Tourer (# 42350) is definitely beyond the change point.

Tim: Your car (# 32696) should be one of the first ones fitted with the new design. Could you let me know for sure? Thanks in advance!

2000 Mazda MX-5
Tim - I am impressed that you finished the job so quickly. Well done!

JohnV - The front drums on my '50 are stamped with MOWOG / 139285. They have the large cover over the center of the hub and only a single adjuster hole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 08:49 PM by dschwartz1957.

Attachments:
FrontDrum2.jpg    33.3 KB
FrontDrum2.jpg

20170620_210600.jpg    41.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tjr567 Avatar
tjr567 Tim J
Hi John,
I'll get a front wheel off this weekend and check what is stamped on it and let you know.

Tim

JohnV Avatar
JohnV John V
David: Thanks for those photos. Hmmmmmmmm. We may have to rethink what we think we know about early-Minor front suspension changes!

Tim: Thanks for the note, eager to see what yours look like too, and thanks to both of you for helping with the research.

2000 Mazda MX-5
John,

> David: Thanks for those photos. Hmmmmmmmm. We may have to rethink what we think we know about early-Minor front suspension changes!

My 1950 Tourer is left hand drive and appears to be a US export market car. It has the early cheese grater grill, later wings with high headlights and various trim changes. From what I have read, the US market cars picked up a lot of features before UK cars. The service manual lists different UK and US car numbers for numerous mechanical changes. This may include the later (early) brake drum / hubs with single adjustment hole and large hub cover.

David

JohnV Avatar
JohnV John V
David

Indeed, U.S. cars came ONLY as highlights from the first cars imported in early 1949, though Canada received lowlights for the first year only then switched to highlights for 1950.

I've compiled a list of all the Series MM running changes, because there were so many, from the parts manual and other sources. It includes the U.S. and NA-specific changes you mention.

Because such a high percentage of the early cars was exported to earn hard currency for the U.K. after the war, modifications to improve the car—heaters on flat-head cars, the first 803cc engines, etc.—usually went to export cars first.

That said, I'd be a bit surprised if something like a brake drum followed the same rule. But I certainly can't rule it out! Early Minors seem to have been slightly improvised as they were built.

best, jv.

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
This might be what they looked like. I think this is Morris MS Series front hubs.

Attachments:
mmdrumcaps.jpg    33.6 KB
mmdrumcaps.jpg

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
MS was a straight 6
about the size of a Major.

Attachments:
Ferd 1.jpg    92.1 KB
Ferd 1.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links