AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MoyasMate Avatar
MoyasMate Mervyn V
Woxall, PA, USA   USA
Hello,

I recently purchased my first "Moggie", a 1967 2 Door Saloon named "Moya." I have started some basic work on it (new fuel pump, fuel line, new seat foam & straps etc.) and i am now getting ready to put new window seals on the rear side windows. They did not come labeled as to which side is which, so i was wondering..which side of the rubber faces outside? The ones currently on the car appear to be homemade so i cannot use those as reference. One side is thick and flat and the other is more rounded. does the rounded side face out? I also heard about needing clips. there are none on the car now and if it is correct, what kind?

Also is there any trick or advice to installing them? I have heard horror stories about installing the rear windscreen and that using a soapy string helps, but nothing about these windows.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mervyn

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
FullSizeRender-2.jpg    28.8 KB
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

IMG_2600.JPG    23 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Congratulations on your new purchase. With the glass in the seal, the thin side goes in side and the curved, wider profile is outside. The clips go over the weld seam under the rubber and come around to the inside of the car and are bent up against the rubber. As I recall there are two on the bottom and two along the upper curve. Without them, they thought the window could be pushed in easily. They are about an inch wide with radiused corners if you want to make them, but someone may have some sitting around.

MoyasMate Avatar
MoyasMate Mervyn V
Woxall, PA, USA   USA
Jim,

Thank you for your help.
Much appreciated.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Trade uses hand cleaner to lubricate seals.

And wire for fitting.
String goes TU PDQ sad smiley

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Mike, can you clear up some terms? Often on the British forums they advise against washing up soap because of the high salt content will cause corrosion. I had used hand cleaner myself. So what is washing up soap as compared to hand cleaner on your side of the pond?

The side window are installed from the inside and a lubricated cord is used to flip the flange over. Probably best to start in the back corner and have a bit of the curve started and then finish up the bottom and the side so that the final bit to pull over is midway along the curve. Check for leaks and some sealant may be required between the glass and seal.

0123 Mike D
Hand cleaner is wot grease
monkeys clean their hands wiv Jim.
A jelly. applied to dry hands..

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p43490?mkwid=s2CdHyErc_dc&pcrid=204088985718&pkw=&pmt=&product=43490&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIspry9eeV1QIVz5ztCh3M

Washing up liquid is wot 'er
indoors uses to do the dishes
Unless you got a mutt yawning smiley)
A soapy liquid.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Washing+up+liquid%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=uY9vWYrbKceT8QfQq4_4BA

There's a fair risk a cord will snap
as you turn the first sharp bend.

Do it like a pro thumbs up

http://www.jthandtools.co.uk/windscreen-wizard/windscreen-wizard-square-wire.html

In reply to # 24971 by emjay Mike, can you clear up some terms? Often on the British forums they advise against washing up soap because of the high salt content will cause corrosion. I had used hand cleaner myself. So what is washing up soap as compared to hand cleaner on your side of the pond?

The side window are installed from the inside confused smiley
and a lubricated cord is used to flip the flange over. Probably best to start in the back corner and have a bit of the curve started and then finish up the bottom and the side so that the final bit to pull over is midway along the curve. Check for leaks and some sealant may be required between the glass and seal.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Thanks, Mike for clearing up our language barrier. So washing up liquid is a domestic household item. Who would have that in the shop if hand cleaner for grease is there? I've been forced to use dish washing soap to clean my hands because that's all the chap had, but even the grease cutting kind is disappointing. The geese that get stuck in an oil spill must not be grinding into their feathers enough since DAWN does just a great job for them.

0123 Mike D
I often use brake
and clutch cleaner Jim.

Yeah, I know it
"defats the skin which
may lead to dermatitis
"

I've got some gloop to sort
dermatitis as and when smiling smiley

In the mean time, I use the
gloop to sort the chapping
I get from washing me pinkies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 02:17 PM by 0123.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I left the clips out 5 years ago, window hasn't fallen out yet.

0123 Mike D
Anyone else hear an animous
tinkling sound as you read this smiling smiley

In reply to # 24977 by 66jalopy I left the clips out 5 years ago, window hasn't fallen out yet.

0123 Mike D

Attachments:
Ferd.pdf    1.02 MB

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Factory didn't want easy access through the window for thieves because the glass may break and the evil doer may get hurt, so the factory encouraged other ways to break in by making it easy.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
My 1966 Mini key would open 4 out of five other cars, lots of security. Jump a wire across the fuse box, push the starter button under the hood and away you go.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Exactly, By making it easy, there would be no reason to break in and possibly injuring the themselves. It saves the owner from a injury law suit by the perspective thief.

nudenut Avatar
nudenut Silver Member Reg K
Perth, Perth Western Australia, Australia   AUS
I have used Vasoline ( petroleum gell ) on all seal installations for last 60 years , never had a issue and easy to clean off any residue .

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Morris Minor 1000 Pickup

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links