Rearview Mirror

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GT6CA Russell F
Petaluma, CA, USA   USA
Our Morris Traveller did not come equipped from the previous owner with a rearview mirror...

I would rather steer clear of the stick on screen jobbies and am wondering how the original item was fitted, i am thinking i might be able to use a period mirror from my Triumph and just screw to the front wooden hoop for the roof..

What do you think?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
What year, split screen is totally different than later one piece screen

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
For my 67 Saloon I found a mirror for a late Rover Mini. Screw holes lined up with the holes in the header and the mount fit the curve of the header. It is black plastic instead of chrome.

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GT6CA Russell F
Petaluma, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 24775 by 66jalopy What year, split screen is totally different than later one piece screen

It's a 1960, also there are no holes anywhere in the headlining where i can tell where one was mounted previously.

Do they screw into the wooden hoop or some other piece of material i cannot see behind the headlining?

thanks

russell

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Not sure what you keep referring to as "wooden hoop". There is no wooden hoop fitted at the windscreen as standard equipment on a Morris Traveller. The metal mirror support screws directly to the metal surround at the top of the windscreen. Held with 3 sheet metal screws.

Like this one but a 1960 would be frameless with a metal back.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-10 07:51 PM by pixelsmithusa.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
http://www.morrisminorspareparts.co.uk/index.php/component/easytablepro/mirrors?srid[0]=1&srid[1]=2&srid[2]=3&srid[3]=4&srid[4]=5&srid[5]=6&srid[6]=7&srid[7]=8&srid[8]=9&srid[9]=10&srid[10]=11&srid[11]=12&srid[12]=13&srid[13]=14&srid[14]=15&srid[15]=16&srid[16]=17&srid[17]=18&srid[18]=19&srid[19]=20

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Rod mounted interior mirrors
provide a period solution to the
problem that arises because the
children who rode in Minors grew
specifications took into account smiling smiley

Rod mounted interior mirrors give
a great deal more driver satisfaction thumbs up

One shown here in a Morgan Plus 8.

Attachments:
Ferd 1.jpg    45.2 KB
Ferd 1.jpg

GT6CA Russell F
Petaluma, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 24781 by pixelsmithusa Not sure what you keep referring to as "wooden hoop". There is no wooden hoop fitted at the windscreen as standard equipment on a Morris Traveller. The metal mirror support screws directly to the metal surround at the top of the windscreen. Held with 3 sheet metal screws.

Like this one but a 1960 would be frameless with a metal back.

That might explain it, i have no metal surround where i can mount the mirror. Looks like i will have to opt for either the rod mount or more likely a screen mounted item.

I was under the (incorrect) impression that behind the headlining right above the windscreen was a wooden piece that went across the car much like the pieces underneath the traveller roof.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
There is a thin piece of wood like material in which the dome light is attached, but would not recommend attaching a mirror considering wood screws would be used and the panel is very close to the roof in places. What I don't understand is why you are avoiding the stock mounting in the metal frame above the windshield as Gerard shows. All models have the holes present except convertibles and trucks. These are not just drilled holes but have a bit of a depression. You should be able to find them if someone filled and painted them. Do you have sun visor/s mounted to this same metal frame?

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Maybe you could post a picture of what the windscreen are looks like from the inside.

Gerard

GT6CA Russell F
Petaluma, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 24800 by pixelsmithusa Maybe you could post a picture of what the windscreen are looks like from the inside.

Here is what i see from the inside, just headlining and rubber seal only.

Someone has taken many liberties with this car and nothing really seems to be all that original...

Attachments:
20170711_193543.jpg    26 KB
20170711_193543.jpg

GT6CA Russell F
Petaluma, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 24799 by emjay There is a thin piece of wood like material in which the dome light is attached, but would not recommend attaching a mirror considering wood screws would be used and the panel is very close to the roof in places. What I don't understand is why you are avoiding the stock mounting in the metal frame above the windshield as Gerard shows. All models have the holes present except convertibles and trucks. These are not just drilled holes but have a bit of a depression. You should be able to find them if someone filled and painted them. Do you have sun visor/s mounted to this same metal frame?

Jim

I'm not avoiding using the stock mount, it's just the stock mount is not there for me to use.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
What's behind the headlining material? Is there metal there or are you saying it has been trimmed away? I can get any sense of prospective from that close up. I'd like to see a wider angle including the A-pillars and over the door(s).

Gerard

GT6CA Russell F
Petaluma, CA, USA   USA
Gerard

No idea what is behind the material, i will have to remove it one day as there is a hole above passenger side as you can see in the pic.

Pic showing wider view attached

Attachments:
20170711_195114.jpg    31.7 KB
20170711_195114.jpg

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
That headliner is not fitted in the normal manner which usually exposes the painted metal windscreen frame/header rail where the mirror mounting screw holes are. And Jim English: my 1960 convertible has the same mounting arrangement as a sedan.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

In reply to # 24804 by GT6CA Gerard

No idea what is behind the material, i will have to remove it one day as there is a hole above passenger side as you can see in the pic.

Pic showing wider view attached

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1949 Morris Minor

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links