Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rchizip Avatar
Rchizip Ron C
Easton, Maryland, USA   USA
I see a lifting fixture in all the Morris Minor maintenance books. It looks like it attaches to the two valve cover bolts and has a bar across to which the hook or clevis from the jack or lifting device is attached. Is that fixture available anywhere? Any advice on pulling the engine? Thanks, I value all the solid advice from this group.
Ron

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Those hooks show up for sale from time to time and some of the suppliers carry them. They replace the thick washer/spacer on the rocker bolts. Some use a chain in the hooks. Overall it is easier to take engine and gear box together. It just changes the lift point between the hooks. The gear box adds some weight out the back but the center of gravity is still between the hooks. You will have to lift the front to get over the front cross member while the gear box is still under the bulk head but the balance is good and quite easy to tip the unit when needed. You could use one of those devices where the attachment point is adjustable, but it's not really worth it since the time the engine/gearbox needs to be tilted is very short.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
What Jim said.

I would add that you shouldn't use the lifting hooks without the valve cover installed. Those studs are not very hefty and will bend inward with the valve cover to stabilized them. Otherwise, you bend the studs. You can achieve the same results with a chain spanning the front manifold bolt and a top rear gearbox mounting bolt of the opposite side of the engine. You'll need to remove the bumper, grill and core support.

Don't forget to drain the gearbox (unless you like cleaning up oily messes) and remove the shift lever.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Even after draining, some oil can come out the back. A baggy over the tail shaft will catch it.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
We calls 'em condoms over 'ere Jim smiling smiley

In reply to # 24767 by emjay Even after draining, some oil can come out the back. A baggy over the tail shaft will catch it.

0123 Mike D
I use summat like this, which
I made out of an old side jack.

I made hooks from angle iron,

The sort in the second picture.
I've got a spare one somewhere
if you are coming past at anytime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 03:08 PM by 0123.

Attachments:
Ferd 2.jpg    20.4 KB
Ferd 2.jpg

Ferd.jpg    66.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
KRCaddis Avatar
KRCaddis Gene Johnson
Santa Margarita, CA, USA   USA
1961 Morris Minor Pickup "Morris, Of Course"
Harbor Freight sells a nice one...
And I'm sure you could pay more elsewhere.

0123 Mike D
Rchizip Avatar
Rchizip Ron C
Easton, Maryland, USA   USA
Thanks, all. Your advice is priceless!
Ron

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links