Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, North Carolina, USA   USA
You might want to look at Miata seats, head rest, adjustable back and plenty of them. Check you local Craigs list. I know, they won't look original. Also one of the upholstery companies in the UK does interiors for MMs and Miatas. I am going to see if they can do my MM with all the same material.

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Most modern seats will sit much too close to the floor if you try to install them "as-is" even with the adjustable tracks. The seat will need to be raised up considerably to be able to see out the windscreen and to comfortably operate the pedals. Even the modern style seats supplied by Newton-Commercial come with pedestals for the appropriate height.

It's a little difficult to see the base, but you can see that the seat bottom is well above the top of the tunnel. The base is a steel frame, bolted to the floor, to which the seat bolts. I'd say the pedestal is at least 8" high.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 07:38 PM by pixelsmithusa.

Attachments:
DSCF4211.jpg    45.6 KB
DSCF4211.jpg

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
I had Newton Commercial make up a set of 1960 Minor seat covers in one of their in stock colors, a dark red but not as dark as their standard 1960 color which is almost an ox blood color. Therefore, I think they will send you color swatches which you can pick from and they will make the covers to order with your color choice.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

In reply to # 24884 by minimarc You might want to look at Miata seats, head rest, adjustable back and plenty of them. Check you local Craigs list. I know, they won't look original. Also one of the upholstery companies in the UK does interiors for MMs and Miatas. I am going to see if they can do my MM with all the same material.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, North Carolina, USA   USA
I had the shop (they are a hot-rod shop doing a lot of custom metal work) that was re-doing my floor panels make seat supports. We did several "trial fittings" using boards to get acceptable positions. The supports are approximately 3 .5" high. My Miata seats are out of a 1999.

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

rotomike Gold Member Michael Kurtzweil
I arrived at a couple of solutions that will work. I removed a section of the replacement tunnel that was provided with the kit and reshaped an aluminum sheet to fit giving a little more room to the right of the pedal. I then cut off the brake pedal pad (which is mounted to the right of the post) and re-welded it to the left of the post. This gives me more foot room to the left of the gas pedal. These changes took me a few hours but now it seems fine. And I'm very happy with the transmission, very smooth shift.
Mike

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 9.11.14 AM.jpg    36.9 KB
Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 9.11.14 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 9.10.46 AM.jpg    30.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Since you moved the brake pedal to the left, you can also give the throttle pedal a bit of a reshape to the left to get a bit more. How's using the clutch while braking?

No problem with clutching/braking with the spacing.

stevsgarage Avatar
stevsgarage Stevan Dupus
Olathe, Kansas, USA   USA
The T-9 is the better transmission but the Nissan unit is good and easier to fit. Unlike the Spridgets the steering rack fits above the tranny so you will have to slot the housing. Not too difficult but remember the measure twice rule.
If you change your mind on the drive train swap I would be interested in them.

I added 1/4" plate spacers between the frame and the new trans mount. This lowered the trans enough to clear the steering rack. The trans shifting is extremely smooth. I took the car on the freeway yesterday. With the 1275 engine and this trans the needle was buried so I was going close to 80. Gas pedal was half way to floor. I could hear the engine whine when I would put it to the floor but I didn't want to push it.
With the torsion bar suspension it is very surprising how smooth this car rides.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Morris Minor MM Saloon 2 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links