Nissan Datsun A15 and 5 speed Transmission

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

shoebone Stuart F
tempe, arizona, USA   USA
I know .. I should probably be in the modified forum but I think we get more traffic here and time is of the essence ... So, I've been offered a Datsun A15 engine and gearbox. The gearbox is the 60 series. I have read that the A15 is a good upgrade so I am tempted to buy but I have no idea about the gearbox. The seller is trying to convince me it will fit in the minor .... well, he would say that wouldn't he. I currently run a 1275 and ford type 9. If the Datsun gearbox doesn't fit, could i use the Ford box ??

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, Maryland, USA   USA
Lucky guy you are!! And something to do on the 4th of July ??

Good Deal and good luck

drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Midway, Utah, USA   USA
I can't speak to the engine, but I have that transmission behind a 1275 in my Minor and it works great (using Gerard's kit). Were it me, I'd keep the setup you already have as it's working and I'm a big fan of the 1275 (lots you can do for power if you need more). It's easy to sell that transmission, lots of folks looking for them for Spridgets and Minors. Or if you're not happy with the T9, get a kit and swap in the Datsun box with your 1275.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
$$$$$ involved in acquiring it? I do like my 1275 even with the ribcage box, would love a T9. I guess it's you choice as to what to do. I hear parts are scarce for the Datsun box, T 9 may be more available.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
The engine and gearbox fit very nicely in a Minor. I've done the swap probably about 5 or 6 times or so. You do need to make custom motor mounts and transmission mount, and there are a couple mods needed on the engine and exhaust manifold, but it's probably the easiest swap you can do on a minor. The Datsun boxes are rather bulletproof, and frequently can be installed "as-is". I can supply rebuild kits which include bearings, synchros and seals. Except on one or two rare occasions, I've never found anything more wrong with them than a bad ball bearing or worn synchros. I've probably examined 40 to 50 gearboxes and rebuilt somewhere around 10... I have lost count.

As Drew mentioned, I make a kit for the gearbox swap for both Morris Minor and Spridgets. And for those that would like a T9, you know that they are not a direct fit into a Morris. You need a custom bell housing for them, and the remote shift housing needs to be shortened by a couple inches, that includes shift rods. The places that off these gearboxes for conversion usually do these mods as part of the "kit", but don't expect you'll pull one from a junk/breakers yard and be able to install them "as-is".

Just one of my installations pictured below.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 01:22 PM by pixelsmithusa.

Attachments:
eng bay.jpg    47.6 KB
eng bay.jpg

shoebone Stuart F
tempe, arizona, USA   USA
Very informative, thanks all, unfortunately, the seller claims he has sold the gearbox for $1200 but will get back to me if the sale falls through !! $1200 !! are they really worth that .... out of my price range anyway. So, I have been trying to negotiate a price for the engine alone .... does anyone make a kit to join the A15 engine and T9 gearbox? Google not being very helpful at the moment. Thanks.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Yes, sometimes even more, but they can be found for less too.

Never heard of a kit to mate the T9 to theDatsun... would be rather pointless since the Datsun had a 5 speed... not much of a market for such thing.

In reply to # 24701 by shoebone Very informative, thanks all, unfortunately, the seller claims he has sold the gearbox for $1200 but will get back to me if the sale falls through !! $1200 !! are they really worth that .... out of my price range anyway. So, I have been trying to negotiate a price for the engine alone .... does anyone make a kit to join the A15 engine and T9 gearbox? Google not being very helpful at the moment. Thanks.

Gerard

rotomike Gold Member Michael Kurtzweil
I recently purchased the T9 conversion kit from CWM. I have a 1275 in my 58 Morris. The kit comes with a fibre glass tunnel cover with the relocated shifter position. I am still into the installation phase and have come across the problem of the shifter interfering with the brake handle. I have a note into CWM for an explanation/solution but haven't heard back yet. This is definitely a problem of which I see no easy fix.

Attachments:
IMG_1512.jpg    47.6 KB
IMG_1512.jpg

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
You probably need to modify the gear shift lever to move it forward, seen it done. It will probably also hit your seats as it is now. Go to a UK modification site, they have done plenty of them.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Thanks for confirming what I have always said is the issue with the T9 in a Morris (or Sprite). I believe the gearbox you were provided does not have the modified/shortened remote shift housing, as I have driven a Morris with a T9, and the shifter was in the standard location, and as I recall, with the stock gearbox cover.

Who is CWM?

In reply to # 24772 by rotomike I recently purchased the T9 conversion kit from CWM. I have a 1275 in my 58 Morris. The kit comes with a fibre glass tunnel cover with the relocated shifter position. I am still into the installation phase and have come across the problem of the shifter interfering with the brake handle. I have a note into CWM for an explanation/solution but haven't heard back yet. This is definitely a problem of which I see no easy fix.

Gerard

Charles Wares Morris Minor, in the UK.

I received a response from Charles Wares. They neglected to send along the instructions for installing the unit which they have now forwarded.
Among the instructions is a note on how the handle this issue:
You will need to modify the handbrake lever before refitting. Remove the button (pulls off if plastic, unscrews if metal), the fibre washer, spring and stop washer and cut through the OUTER CASING ONLY. Cut just behind the two small slots (see diagram 4) to shorten the casing by 45mm. Cut two new slots in the casing 40mm from the end and tap in at rear of slots to form the peen. Refit stop washer to rod and then with the rod engaged on the teeth of the ratchet cut the rod so it is 3-4mm longer than the casing. Refit spring, fibre washer and button. Refit assembly to car.

My contact mentioned that I can follow these instructions or they simply move the entire mount back on the tunnel.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Buggers !
Sorry to see this type of heck up in such a conversion job.
It's giving me second thoughts, but when the motor is reving at near peak, the 5 speed will make it worth the gloat you'll have on your face.

I also needed to remove about 4 inches of tunnel to allow for the added length of the tranny and the new fibre glass tunnel. Will uploaded pictures when I'm finished.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
I'm have a tired 948 and was thinking of doing the swap to a 1275 and 5 speed. The questions for me is if I can find the motor and trans that fit w/o having to butcher the car.

Seems that 1275 are difficult to find around here for some reason. MGS and sprints used to tooling about the area back in the'70 s have been snapped up or crushed , therefore locating the drivetrain has been an exercise use in web searching.

Wish you luck with the completion of your swap and looking forward to your photos and post on the swap.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links