Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jefferson Matt Boisen
Owatonna, Minnesota, USA   USA
Hi folks
The knob or tip broke off my turn indicator/horn assembly on the steering column of my 58 Minor. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? I temporarily put a knob from a pull chain light fixture on it so I don't dent my finger on the bare metal wand. Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Sounds like a good time to upgrade to a deluxe wooden one. I suspect the end of the metal tube is knurled and the original knob was just pressed on. I saw, very recently somewhere that someone is making the later style with the light in it with a UV resistant plastic. Perhaps they will take up the two year style.

My cherry wood one is forty years old on my 61 convertible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-03 02:16 PM by emjay.

bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, California, USA   USA
Maybe this knob could be used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272339662140

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I was going to offer you my spare but on inspection it looks like someone glued one like the one on EBay on there. I acquired one with the gree light on the end and it is self canceling. I don't know if in 56 they self cancelled or not but it should be easy enough to put a screw in the steering column like mine has to activate it.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    48.8 KB
image.jpeg

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Phillip, what type of switch did yours have originally? You should have the center horn push. Didn't the end of the Series II still use the trafficator switch mounted below the dash? Or did the States market get something else?

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
This was a US market car according to heritage papers. It always had turn signals and this appears to be original except for the knob. It is also self cancelling. Center horn push on steering wheel. The contact for the horn is what is broken on this switch. My niece in Ireland had a newer green light one laying around and gave it to me, Bolted right on.

Jefferson Matt Boisen
Thanks guys. I'll leave the pull chain knob on for now, (doesn't look too bad) and wait until something else comes along. Or, replace the whole steering assembly with a center horn and self cancelling indicator.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
In checking the books, the under dash switch was used to the end of Series II production, 448715, for both home and USA market. The USA market had the 8 way relay and flasher units for all but the very earliest Minors. The subject turn signal switch was introduced with the Series III (1000), 448801 for all markets, trafficators or flashers. There are two styles of this horn push/turn signal switch. The early ones had the indicator light in the speedo and the later ones had it in the cover on the switch body. All are non-self-cancelling. To update to the later on with the light at the end of the stalk requires the column support tube as well since the mountings are different. A later column would also allow easy horn addition. Also the 57/58 wheel is different than the later wheels, but drilling the horn push securing screw is possible. I would think to change a Series II with the flat steering wheel, a complete assembly from rack to dash would be easiest.

Jefferson Matt Boisen
Yep, that's what I have been finding out, too. I will leave things as they are for now. I have other things to do with the moggy, and maybe will even learn to cancel the turn signal each time instead of looking like my grandpa going down the road.

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
So, now I don't know what I have. PO must have changed for a later column and steering wheel.

rvkerner Rob Kerner
Davis, CA, USA   USA
What is this Deluxe wooden one you mention? My 1955 LHD deluxe traveller has a wooden tip that has a plastic insert that is just pushed on the end of the stalk. My stalk is also the horn. I always assumed this end was aftermarket, but the turn signal stalk was original.

-Rob

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Unless your local dealer was installing something different, a 55 would have the turn signal switch under the outboard side of the dash. It's hard to believe that was ever legal but then Sprites and Lotus Sevens had a left/right toggle switch on the dash. A wooded knob on any Morris turn signal would be home grown after the sun did its damage to the original. I photo would tells us if the switch is from another vehicle or aftermarket. When turn signals became required equipment there were many aftermarket assemblies available to upgrade an older vehicle. They tended to be big and chrome and clamped onto the column.

rotomike Gold Member Michael Kurtzweil
I recently had the same problem on my 58 and purchased the knob that Bufferzone links to Ebay.
The ID of the knob is a little bigger than the post but I attached it using JBWeld and its fine.

bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, California, USA   USA
Glad to hear, Rotomike. This thread should be renamed "for want of a $2 knob an entire steering assembly may be replaced"
grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 09:54 AM by bufferzone.

rvkerner Rob Kerner
Davis, CA, USA   USA
Sorry for such a late reply, but vacation got in the way of working on my Morris. Attached are a couple of pictures of what my 1955 has. The whole stalk appear original, but could have been replaced before I got the car in 1984. It is a push horn stalk too.

Rob

Attachments:
turn signal tip.jpg    18.3 KB
turn signal tip.jpg

turn signal stalk.jpg    33.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 2 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links