Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Suffolk Guy Stephen Miller
BURY ST. EDMUNDS, Suffolk, UK   GBR
Hi Folks,

I've got a Morris Minor 1000, 1966 2 Door Saloon.

The problem I have is my brake lights only work when the brake pedal is pressed down hard?

Hence lots of folks following me think they don't work at all, but when you do a static test proves they do, incidentally has never failed the MOT on that point.

The place I go and have it serviced etc thinks it might be because I've got disc brakes and in normal driving operation don't p press down so hard on the pedal?

He asked if there was such a thing as a low pressure switch?

An alternative he said might be to fit an auxiliary switch nearer the pedal?

He says the switch already in place seems OK.

Any comments welcome.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
The contacts in the switch may be dirty and more pressure is needed to complete the circuit. You'll need to replace the switch.

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

Someone said a Hella 4565 switch is good for a Minor?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
May I suggest you follow modern practice if
you have the skill and ingenuity to fo so Stephen?

Many modern cars use a limit switch.
As soon as the pedal moves a set amount
the light comes on, which may be before the brakes.

Old motorcycles used the same system.
This type of switch could be just the job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-stop-brake-light-switch-BSA-Triumph-90-0506-motorcycle-/251418103117?epid=682806012&hash=item3a89afcd4d:g:p0gAAOxy4RpRzVFU

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Bike-Universal-Rear-Brake-Light-Switch-with-Spring-Fit-for-Honda-/221861391219?hash=item33a7f82b73:g:BvwAAOSwnOJWEuPw

Attachments:
Ferd.jpg    23.5 KB
Ferd.jpg

Ferd 1.jpg    19.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
pixelsmithusa Avatar
I doubt it has anything to with disc brakes, but then most disc brake swaps are not done correctly in a Minor anyway. I've done disc brake conversions on Minors about a dozen times and there's never been an issue with brake lights working properly. I would either check for debris/sludge in the switch or just replace it You might even have air trapped in it. New ones are easy to find and inexpensive.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

0123 Mike D
Do you know anything about hydraulic
brake light switches closing at pressures
outside a normal variation please Gerard?

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Nope, just that if it's original, it's over 50 years old. Also, a lot of variables not provided, such as whether silicone fluid may have been or is being used. Use of silicone typically damages these old switches. No details of brake swap or haw it's been installed, i.e, was residual valve ever removed from master cylinder, etc.

In reply to # 24504 by 0123 Do you know anything about hydraulic
brake light switches closing at pressures
outside a normal variation please Gerard?

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-25 03:54 PM by pixelsmithusa.

0123 Mike D
Could your problem simply be that Minor brake
lights are not bright enough to see Stephen?

Could answer be to fit LED brakelights?

Must be BA15D.
Must have offset pins
Check they will physically fit in your light.

Some here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Car-Parts/6030/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=led+stop+tail+bulb+ba15d&_sop=15

Attachments:
Ferd 2.jpg    56.5 KB
Ferd 2.jpg

0123 Mike D
Thank you Gerard smiling smiley

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
When working the amount of force required to make contact is very low. I had one that when I pushed in with a tool and a lot of manual direct force, it worked, but did not work when in place no matter how hard I pushed. Then need to come on with very little pedal force. Pressure is pressure whether it's fluid or air. Debris in the end of the switch is a real possibility and could be cleaned out.

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Gold Member John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
In my experience with four cars with pressure type brake lamp switches this is the failure mode: excessive foot pressure is required to make the lights come on or they will not come on at all. I have had very good luck with the heavy duty switch made by Ron Francis Wiring which activates at low pressure and has proven durable. Not inexpensive at about $30 but well worth it compared to the substandard switches now on the market. Google Ron Francis Wiring for details.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

In reply to # 24497 by emjay The contacts in the switch may be dirty and more pressure is needed to complete the circuit. You'll need to replace the switch.

0123 Mike D
Isn't there a diaphragm or piston inside a
brake light switch so that it only takes a light
hydraulic pressure to close the switch please?

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
I opened the one that failed on me years ago. There is a diaphragm to separate the electrical contacts.

Hi Folks,

Thanks to everyone that's had an input into my problem.

I think possibly start with the simple thing first, change the switch.

I do like the idea too of the LED bulbs, if they fit my rear light holders, take its just a case of putting them in without any further mods?

dawpooldad Mike Rostock
WIRRAL, Thingwall, UK   GBR
Hi,
Just to throw my experience into the mix.
I've changed the switch on my 54 series 2, 3 times in the last 10 years and still suffer from the same problem.
I've been told by various people that my brake lights aren't working. When I show them statically they work!
I was puzzled, so I connected an LED lamp across the swith and located it on the dash.
Indeed, on light brake application sometimes the lights didn't operate!

So investigating over the 'net on various forums, I discovered that possibly it was due to the silicone brake fluid being used. This fluid has a bit more compressability than normal fluid. Just to be on the safe side I bled the brakes (5 times!), which was very expensive.

They were a lot better, but just occasionally, on light pedal pressure, the lights still didn't work!

So now I'm going down the direct switch route once I find a suitable switch and an efficient way to mount it.
If anybody out there has done it then I'm all ears!

Best rgds

Dawpooldad

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morris Minor 1000 Van

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links