hemm999 Ian Hemmingway
Manchester, lancs, UK   GBR
Hi ,
got me car yesterday,
Had a good look round her,
She has had disk breaks fitted,
Can i change them for drums to put it back to original,
She is a 1958 1000, In very good shape for her age,
Still requires a lot of work to get her in showing condition.
Also there is something fitted extra, I think it is a fuel pump
shown in picture.
There is a lot of extra wiring and relays fitted.
see pic`s
Thanks Ian.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
750_1136.jpg    58.1 KB
750_1136.jpg

750_1138.jpg    50.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
750_1139.jpg    47.3 KB
750_1140.jpg    35.3 KB
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
The big extra item is a brake booster. The fuel pump is very standard. I hope the installer provided a wiring diagram for all the extra wires or it may be difficult to correct a fault. With the coil mounted to the inner fender, I suspect there is an alternator and that can explain the changes in the wiring since the regulator is no longer needed.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I don't know why you would want to go back to drums except for an original show car, disks stop so much better, specially with that booster. It depends on what kit was used as to ease of doing it, the hubs are different in the kit I used but many use a kit that retains original hubs. If that is so, just getting the back plate, cylinders, shoes and springs plus drums.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hemm999 Avatar
hemm999 Ian Hemmingway
will look into it further.
Thanks.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Of course you can
return it to original Ian.

You'll need your brains
examining if you do though smiling smiley

In addition to that which
Phil and Jim have told you
you spend a shed load of money.

nudenut Avatar
nudenut Silver Member Reg K
Perth, Perth Western Australia, Australia   AUS
Hi, I would stay with the disc and booster system.

shoebone Stuart F
tempe, arizona, USA   USA
You have the basis of a daily driving minor ... I can see why it is modified ... easier braking for one thing, don't know about the funky wiring but its possibly relays for the headlights, and the shiny rocker cover .... worth an extra 2mph all on its own. I have documented modifications on my own car so that when I sell it, the new owner will see whats been done. In reality, I will never sell and the documentation will help when I am old(er) and senile(er) so even I can see what I done !!!

hemm999 Avatar
hemm999 Ian Hemmingway
Been looking on E bay could get the front brakes complete for around 50 pounds.
Then sell the disk brakes as a conversion kit.
will be replacing all the brake pipes.
Working on the back diff, Will be replacing the gasket, oil seal, and oil seal & gasket on the hubs.
what size is the nut that holds the seal in where the prop goes.

hemm999 Avatar
hemm999 Ian Hemmingway
Got the correct socket now,
Made a tool for holding the end while i undo the nut.

Re: Help
Roger46 Roger Webb
East Grinstead, West sussex, UK   GBR
In reply to # 24547 by shoebone You have the basis of a daily driving minor ... I can see why it is modified ... easier braking for one thing.
I would make that safer braking. By today's standards the original brakes were rubbish!

Lilling Hall Quentin Gallagher
Waterlooville, Hampshire, UK   GBR
Whilst the drums are fine for me, they are the one aspect of driving the car that needs a bit of thought and appreciation when swapping from a modern one. I have thought of swapping to servo discs but it's never been high enough up the priority list to justify the expense.

Lots of people have swapped to discs, but it depends how important originality is to the individual. If it is vital, then the non-original rocker cover and wiring would want reverting too.

Lilling Hall Quentin Gallagher
Waterlooville, Hampshire, UK   GBR
The other advantage of swapping to/retaining discs would be getting away from the fiddly reservoir under the carpets.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I have disks, Master is still under the floor so that did not change.
My first day driving back in 1962 was in a Traveler, a 1962 Pontiac Catalina passed me, cut in front of me and stopped suddenly, I could not stop, I rear ended him. Disks would have been a great thing to have that day.

0123 Mike D
I reckon servo assisted drums give
a quicker response than disks Phil.

0123 Mike D
Owt to stop you fitting a remote reservoir Quentin.

3) RESERVOIR TOP-UP KIT *

This is convenient on a standard Morris Minor because you can check your brake fluid levels at a glance. Existing owners know how awkward it can be to check the brake fluid levels under the floor. This carried out as an individual job.
Supplied and fitted £110.00 + VAT

Supply only: CBS3156 - £42.00 + vat

http://www.morrisminorspareparts.co.uk/index.php/series-iii-upgrades/suspension-braking-options

In reply to # 24646 by Lilling Hall The other advantage of swapping to/retaining discs would be getting away from the fiddly reservoir under the carpets.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links