Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

renthouse thomas seher
reidsville, reidsville n.c. 27320, USA   USA
Thank You, Jeff Ross

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, Maryland, USA   USA
Excuse me, but can someone tell me if the engine in a 1960 MM would have a block marking of 948?

The engine tag has been removed and I think the drivetrain was replaced with older parts..

Thank you
Cam

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
950 on the block identifies it as a 948, which would be appropriate for 1960. The photos in your introduction post, however, show what is probably a H2 carb based on the throttle cable attachment, so it is possible that the engine might be a slightly older vintage. A 60 Minor should have a HS2.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
The air clear on the car looks like a tea pot. !! I have nots en such a rig on any of the cars on this forum or on the internet.. could it be off of a mini ??

So your opinion is the engine is " correct", but the SU. Is not , appropriate. Right ?

What and the smooth case trans verse a ribbed? What was the ORM for A 1960 " complete knock down" car shipped to NZ in the day ?

Thanks for the information!!!!
Cam

Ps. Is there a majo performance difference between the two SU's ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-04 01:10 PM by rusty bucket.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
No difference in the performance between carbs, same throat size, same needle. The "2" in the name defines the number of eights over an inch. The HS2 was introduced to eliminate leaks from the jet when the gland seals fail, which is very easy by running a tube from the fuel bowl to the bottom of the jet. In this way all the seals are static, no sliding.

The air filter looks proper for 60 but the lid has been changed. The H2 carb typically had an oil bath filter, but some USA models got the dry element early. Definitely a smooth case for 60 since the ribcase did not appear until 62/63. Being assembled Down Under there could be some minor difference due to using local content.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Thank you for the information.
I just found another 1960 on the forum that had the tea pot.
Where can you get this funky conical / pryalidal air filter ?? It Looks like a tractor supply shop for a allis chambers might have something.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
The filter element is available from Minor suppliers. Fram CA631PL is a place to start looking.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Be this your funky air cleaner Gaffer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-04 02:48 PM by 0123.

Attachments:
Ferd.jpg    38.8 KB
Ferd.jpg

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
That unit was used on 1098s. Some say the element is the same as the older ones, but I think the 1098 one is slightly bigger, but I would think the 948 one can be used in the later housing.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Close ! But no cigar !
There is a picture of the teapot on the forum of a 1960 marron 4door that's a "John b." Asked members to review . He had photos of the car and it has the same tea pot housing) but maybe the element is the same.

Thanks to Jim English for the tram number, now I have something to refer to !!!

Cam
Happy Fourth to all and our British, Aussies and Kiwi alum

Cam

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
TEA Anyone?!!
That appears to be similar to my air filter housing, although my element is not as large .

Yes, I know the joke implied.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links