AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tonton Avatar
tonton Tony Goninan
Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia   AUS
1950 Morris Minor "The Frog"
I really need some expert help as I cannot fathom the answer through google or the few Minor books I have read.
The grill on my 1950 Lowlight is a one piece grill yet my research shows that these didn't come in til 1951 and NOT on a lowlight.
My grill has the lights in the correct position for a lowlight yet I have not seen a 1950 with a one piece grill.
Is it possible there was a changeover period and if so would the grill be painted the body colour or with the grey cheese grate. I am aware that the 2 piece on the pre 1950 had a chromed cheese grate and also that the black minors in 1951 had the cheese grate painted grey.
I am totally confused.
Can anyone shed some light please with evidence.
Thanks
Tony

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Please clarify something. The photo in your profile appears to have a two piece grille or is in painted silver? Perhaps they made some replacement panels after 51 that were one piece. We have some experts in the Series MM that should be able to explain. Stay tune.

I also remember someone from down under had a low light grille that could accommodate full seven inch headlights, which probably was a locally manufactured item to meet local regulations and they may have been one piece style.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-28 09:18 AM by emjay.

tonton Avatar
tonton Tony Goninan
Thanks for the reply.
My grill is painted on the cheese grate, it is definitely only one piece as I am restoring it at present.
It seems there has been chrome plating on the grill at some stage but have no idea if it is original or not.
I look forward to any further info.
Thanks
Tony

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Some replacements from UK were 1-piece and painted. I'd say that you've got one of those. They sometimes come up for sale in as-new or unused condition.

tonton Avatar
tonton Tony Goninan
Thank you for the info, maybe that solves the mystery for me.
Tony

AndyBaxter Andy Baxter
Klingnau, Aargau, Switzerland   CHE
Here's a photo of my 1950 low-light as found - the grill is aluminium, one-piece

Attachments:
IMG_2573.jpg    55.1 KB
IMG_2573.jpg

tonton Avatar
tonton Tony Goninan
Now that is really interesting.
Anyone have an explanation on that?????
Tony

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Brass with old chrome??? If it was ali it probably wouldn't have survived this long.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Hand beatenTony.

In reply to # 25157 by tonton Now that is really interesting.
Anyone have an explanation on that?????
Tony

plumby Phil P
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
The original early "cheese-grater" Series MM grille I believe was pressed out of brass. I sold an early one that came from a wreck out here (and which was somehow almost intact) to Mr Malia in Malta for one of his cars.

The excellent reference, Paul Skilleter's book on the Morris Minor, refers to there having been a world-wide nickel shortage in early 1951. Cars produced around March 1951 onwards (for about six months) were manufactured with painted grille and painted hub caps as an economy measure. The hubcaps later reverted to chrome, but the cheaper, one-piece, painted body-colour grille was retained.

Phil Plumbe
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Australia

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
In reply to # 25242 by plumby The original early "cheese-grater" Series MM grille I believe was pressed out of brass. I sold an early one that came from a wreck out here (and which was somehow almost intact) to Mr Malia in Malta for one of his cars.

The excellent reference, Paul Skilleter's book on the Morris Minor, refers to there having been a world-wide nickel shortage in early 1951.
Thanks North Korea sad smiley
Cars produced around March 1951 onwards (for about six months) were manufactured with painted grille and painted hub caps as an economy measure. The hubcaps later reverted to chrome, but the cheaper, one-piece, painted body-colour grille was retained.

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
I've got several immaculate chromed grilles here and one single brass one that has never been plated or fitted. Saving it for a special occasion. smiling smiley

tonton Avatar
tonton Tony Goninan
Hi Phil
Thanks for the reply however I was aware of what you said but my lowlight is definately a 1950 model so it was before the nickel shortage creating the problem and the grills being made in one piece.
Cheers Tony

JohnV Avatar
JohnV John V
Woodstock, New York, USA   USA
The separate grille on my April 1949 LHD North American Tourer appears to be stamped aluminium, not chromed brass.

Does anyone know anything about whether there were two different materials used for the grille inserts before the single-piece "cheesegrater" panel started?

The explanation of Tony's 1950 grille being one piece because it was a replacement panel makes quite a lot of sense. Was there any other indication of a frontal crash, Tony?

plumby Phil P
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Remember, there was a lot of war-surplus aluminium around in 1948-49 (!), hence the Land-Rover used a hardened or skin-toughened version of that alloy for all it's body panels.

Maybe Morris at Cowley was looking for a cheaper alternative to the brass cheese-grater grille, so tried alu alloy before settling on a one-piece surround+grille made out of steel.

Yes, the 1950 car with an all-steel grille may well have had a smash at some stage.

Phil Plumbe
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Australia

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links